Add me to the "broken 360" list [sigh]

Discussion in 'Games' started by zero2dash, Mar 2, 2007.

1. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Well, last night was the final nail in the coffin for my 360.
    I dunno what gives.

It froze a few times lately (over the last month or month and a half), but last night I went and downloaded Alien Hominid HD and tried to enjoy the game. Well, I couldn't enjoy it because every 2-3 minutes the system froze and I had to power it off. This happened several times before I went to the Microsoft website to see what to do/who to complain to, and I read through their KB article with [supposed] fixes. I tried them all.

Console, as normal, where it's been since we bought it in Nov06: froze
    Run HD maintenance: froze
    Remove HD: froze
    Try another account: froze
    Try no accounts (not signing in): froze
    Move console to other spot with more airflow (even though it was in a perfectly good spot before): froze

Aargh :( :mad:
    I contacted the support and am awaiting my RMA#/authorization.

Good thing I've got a Ps2 and Wii to tide me over.
    What's strange is its like my 360 is pissed I haven't played it lately...I've been devoting all my time to the Ps2 and Wii and it's like my 360 just 'broke up with me' or something. LOL :D

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

They be harsh mistresses.

Mine was fine for months then decided it was broken. Fracking thing.

3. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Thats sucks man.....but at least your not void from gaming completely .
    Plenty of fun to be had on Wii and PS2 until you get the 360 fixed

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Mine my launch machine is still going strong. If it dies now though it's out of waranty :(

5. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

I hope your machine stays fine. I also had a launch console and almostly exactly one week ago today I turned it on to find the most horrifying red lights of death. Since it was out of warranty, with shipping and buying another year warranty, for them to fix it was just shy of the price of the core unit... so I bought a whole new one. absolutely sucked balls.

now I'm on a mission to figure out something to do with the broken one...

6. zero2dash thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Man now this just really blows.
    I can't enjoy Alien Hominid, and now Worms comes out next week and I'm sure I won't have a replacement by then.

Damn you, you cruel, cruel world!!!! :eek: :(

7. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

My brother gave me his red lighting 360 to fix for him. He took it apart to "fix" it himself (without being technically savvy) so the warranty is voided. He said he tried the wet towel trick (which intentionally overheats it) and that seemed to work for a while.

Any ideas on what can be done to fix it?

8. zero2dash thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Since it's already out of warranty, you could just try to beat the crap out of it. Eh, it worked for that guy. :D

9. darkwing macrumors 65816

Sorry to hear that, z2d. I hope your 360 gets fixed and is back to you quickly.

10. happy.buddha macrumors member

happy.buddha

I'm in New Hampshire and mine died two weeks before the warranty was up, I sent mine out on Feb 13th to the repair center and received a replacement console 13 days later on Feb 26th, it was a long two weeks but it was only two weeks without :D

Hope yours is just as short, as a bonus my replacement 360 is much, much quieter than my old one and I was able to get an extended warranty for the replacement for $29.95.

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

This is part of the reason I'm glad I got the PS3. From the sound of it, the 360 breaks down almost regularly. I don't want to have to deal with that in a gaming console. It's bad enough having to cope with my Windows PC.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not sure how regular it is. I have yet to experience the joy's ;) Two 360's in and still no dead or problematic one.

13. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Sounds like you're the rare case, better knock on some wood ;)

14. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

People with problems are the most vocal.

I used to work in technical support for an Internet company, and honestly if people had heard the endless calls of problems they'd think it was a horrible ISP. Yet we had a huge number of customers, and the people with actual problems were a very very small percentage.

Same here with 360, it's not like you are going to see threads like "Everyone post how has never had to replace their 360", it's not going to happen... and if it did the people who would reply would be the people with problems.

I've had my 360 since about Jan 2006, and have had no problems with it. Never had to have it replaced.

15. applekid macrumors 68020

Yes, the Internet is an echo chamber of complaints. :cool:

We have a place in town where you pay to play console games. They have 4 360's. Not a single problem yet, and they've owned all of them since launch.

I'm buying one this summer, so don't make me try to retract my plans. Here's to hoping for a black 360 when I get mine (and a decent price drop!).

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My brothers 360 broke, and it's not exactly kept warm. It's a few inches from an air vent and the house never exceeds 22 celcius.

Do we know what causes this problem, or if they can get a lower failure rate with future revisions?

17. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Here is the issue i have with that analogy. When the 360 was released there were even more of these complaints, they have slowed but imo there are more reports of this happening than there should be. I would bet that if MS stopped using shoddy hardware they issues would probably never happen.

The PS3 & the Wii have been out for around a quarter, in that same time there were tons more complaints of 360's breaking than there has been for 2 systems, the attitude your post takes makes it seem like you are making excuses for MS's shoddy hardware design.

Ed

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Plus it would just be a bit of a non event. With problems you have stories, things to tell and discuss to make sure these problems don't happen again. What would happen in a "360 fine" thread?

1- Mine has been working since launch.
    2- Mine has been working since launch too.
    3- Mine has been working since Xmas 06.
    4- My PS3/Wii is fine har har.

19. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

My first one died after six months of use. It was a launcher though. Luckily I had the Best Buy $50 replacement plan.

The fact is that nobody can know the real numbers, but it seems to me that to say the 360 failure rate was within a normal range would be like saying that certain iBook logic boards failed within a normal range. In fact, MS all but admitted it wasn't normal by offering to replace faulty launch units more than a year after launch.

20. Carlsen macrumors member

My 360 crashed and burned with three red rings last week. Two days later, I had a new 360 from MS :)

21. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

The worst part of it was losing my save data. :eek: At least I finished Oblivion just before it died!

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Didnt you get to keep your HDD ?

23. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i understand what you're saying, and i agree to an extent. but why is it that everybody i know with a 360 has had to have it fixed/replaced? and it perplexes me that most of those people had to do so repeatedly. one friend had a 360 that broke the day he got it. i've never seen this with any nintendo or sony system. now i know you're going to see problems with any product, but it seems as though problems with the 360 are the norm and not the exception. if ever i buy a 360, it's going to be from costco where i can return the system for a full refund if ever anything was to go wrong.

to the op, i'm very sorry this happened to you. it sucks to have a cool toy only to have it break down on you.

24. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Same here, everyone I know (including me) with a 360 needed repair or replacement...BUT the PS2 has some terrible problems early on...

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

2/3 for me.
    Funnily enough the guy who got a 360 before everyone else has had the longest living one.

This just isn't comfortable with me.