Add-on PlayStation 3 HDD will run Linux

Discussion in 'Games' started by LSS, Jun 10, 2005.

1. LSS macrumors member

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/09/news_6127219.html

2. Eric_Z macrumors regular

So that becons the question, what does it take to get publisher status?

If I've understood him correctly and it's relatively easy to get a publisher status, I could see BSDs, HURD and perhaps AmigaOS being ported. :)

3. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

wtf? how is windows and mac os X going to run on it?

Anyways, I dont think the Cell is going to be to great for standard desktop usage. But it will kick ass for computational physics which is why Im going to buy one with linux on it =)

4. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

I think by publishers he means publishers of Windows and OS X, aka MS and Apple...

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

PS2 already runs Linux with the external hard drive.

As for Windows and Mac OS X, the guy's an obvious idiot. Linux is the only one that has that kind of cross platform capability.

6. Hydra macrumors regular

Hydra

7. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Get some PS3's on the MR folding team perhaps!? :cool:

8. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

sure call the president of Sony an idiot why don't you :p

9. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

it almost seems like some of us here devote our lives to calling the president of microsoft (and ceo, etc.) idiots, so why not branch out?--sony makes PCs as well :D:)
    i wouldnt personally run windows or os x on a PS3. first of all, i don't have an HD set, just a cheap 27" crt, so it'd look pretty horrible, and for various other reasons but i guess there's nothing wrong with doing it. it'd be *hella* fast i'd imagine...:cool:

10. Tech^salvager macrumors regular

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You know what, I don't really care who he is. I didn't realize it was the President of Sony when I said that. I'm being non-discriminatory.

This statement is just. plain. idiotic.

1) Windows is highly platform specific. You can not run Windows on it and run any Windows apps. Period.
    2) It's Mac, not Max.
    3) Just because Linux, an OS that is FAMOUS for being multiplatform, that is completely open source, can run on the Cell (after you recompile your apps of course), does not mean that two completely different operating systems can run on a completely new processor architecture different than the one it runs on!

The PS3's Cell's primary processor, the PowerPC core, is not a normal PowerPC. It's an in order processor. It's physically incapable of out-of-order execution. It's vastly different from the PowerPC's in Macs. No way Windows and Mac OS X would run well on it...heck, Windows XP Home doesn't even support more than two normal threads, let alone 7 SPE's that only do floating point and don't have brancing.

12. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Lindows on Cell?

How could Lindows run on PPC hardware like the Cell? If the Cell could do that so would G5s but they don't.

As for porting OS X to it what would be the point for Apple? Their hardware sales would suffer from people buying PS3s instead of Macs.

13. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

After insinting that people used ATRAC instead of MP3 and therefore killing their own minidisc product even they admited being idiots!

14. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

He was saying that it is CONCEPTUALLY possible... not that it will happen.

But yeah the prospect of PS3 being a MUCH more open platform than the XBOX 360 makes me think i'm gonna grab one (along w/ my revolution :) :))

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm hoping that'll give developers more reason to program towards OpenGL and UNIX...then we get more Mac ports :D

PS3 and Revo for me... :D