add ram...void warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by evanrousso, Sep 21, 2006.

1. evanrousso macrumors 6502

Will adding some more ram to my macbook by myself void the warranty on it? I heard it did and I really wanted to add another gig to it but if it voids the warranty than I am going to have to pass.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

No, absolutely not...adding RAM is a routine, do-it-yourself job. Just don't go jabbing a screwdriver around inside there while you have it open...then Apple might have a problem with it. ;)

Just make sure you push hard (really hard!) to make sure the RAM is seated properly.

3. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

No, it won't void the warranty. Apple considers RAM upgrades to be user-installable, so don't worry about the warranty (unless you break something of course) :rolleyes:

4. joebells macrumors 6502

theres a law against a manufacturer not honoring a warranty because of using third party items and such I have read on these forums.

5. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

the manual gives you step by step directions to properly install the RAM;)

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You're referring to the Magnusson-Moss Act. Yes, it means that a company can not void a warranty based solely on the fact that you used third-party aftermarket products. But if they can show that that third-party product is what caused the problem, they can decline to offer warranty service.

7. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

I suppose it all comes down to whether or not you install it properly...if you use a hack-saw to open it up, a hammer to install the ram, and duct tape to close it all up, I'm thinking Apple wouldn't be too eager to help.

If you do everything "by the book," you should be fine.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Very well put.

applause.gif