Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
I like the Ivy's because their campuses make me feel like I am in Europe again. Nice old buildings, lots of trees, generally cold winters.... :) go PENN!

Looking around Cornell's campus didn't make me feel like I was in Europe. It made me feel confused. It's nothing like Princeton or Brown, it's a bunch of discombobulated undecided buildings trying to pass as diverse architecture, probably just to impress Carl Sagan, anyway. Now that he's dead, the buildings couldn't care less. But it is nice and cold there.

Then, I was an outsider just doing my time.

The woman says she never would've gotten into Cornell Vet if she didn't go to Cornell undergrad. Then she would've had to have gone to Penn.

Oh. Wait. Now she says "I wouldn't have gotten into Penn if I hadn't gone to Cornell, either!" It's like she would've wound up at Michigan State or something.

Go Spartans!

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2004
Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
Looking around Cornell's campus didn't make me feel like I was in Europe. It made me feel confused. It's nothing like Princeton or Brown, it's a bunch of discombobulated undecided buildings trying to pass as diverse architecture, probably just to impress Carl Sagan, anyway. Now that he's dead, the buildings couldn't care less. But it is nice and cold there.

Then, I was an outsider just doing my time.

The woman says she never would've gotten into Cornell Vet if she didn't go to Cornell undergrad. Then she would've had to have gone to Penn.

Oh. Wait. Now she says "I wouldn't have gotten into Penn if I hadn't gone to Cornell, either!" It's like she would've wound up at Michigan State or something.

Go Spartans!

true, some have the trees, some the buildings .... but they all have cold winters

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
What do you guys think of William and Mary? I am biased in that I have an association with the school. Since I am a local to the area I don't have a sense of how many people have even heard of it. It's the second oldest university in the US.

As a Richmond alum, you can imagine what I think of W&M...

:D

Seriously, though...it's a fantastic school. It's unique in its combination of academic quality, small size, and public school tuition. But I only really know one person who went there, and she hated it...transferred to Williams after a semester.

fuzzwud

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2004
Houston

Yes, I've seen this before but still, it's stretching it. No one that I know refers to UT Austin as a public ivy. Actually, ivies don't mean much if it's defined so broadly. There are plenty of public and private universities that are excellent institutions, but I'd still laugh if someone calls them can ivy. In fact, I read something on ABC or CNN that talks about how there are so many non-ivy schools are equal or better than the original ivy schools. So who cares?

THe point is that you gotta find out what you want in a school. Don't depend on reputation alone. It's hard to get a refund on your time, tuition, and effort once you enroll in a school. Plus, Richard Moll is just probably trying to sell his book. Just my opinion, you're welcomed to think differently.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
There are plenty of public and private universities that are excellent institutions, but I'd still laugh if someone calls them can ivy.

These days, talking of ivy league schools is really a long-outdated term anyway. We say it as if we refer to the best schools in the world, but while they are all good schools, they are not all the best. Besides, the ivy league was established as such because of a division for sports and the rivalry associated with it, not because they excelled in academics.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
So who cares?

THe point is that you gotta find out what you want in a school.

1) a lot of people care and when you are spending money for your kid to go to school, you want a school that you know is good

2) certainly, more than reputation one should find what they want and what the school offers...a good match is the most important thing of all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.