Added new RAM!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by IanF0729, Dec 29, 2005.

1. IanF0729 macrumors regular

IanF0729

Today my 1GB stick of RAM was delivered from Crucial.

I could not be more happy with the choice to spend the money!

After using Photoshop, Google Earth, and having iChat, Safari, iCal, Mail, and iTunes open my page outs were only 401. That figure is down drastically from what I'm used to.

Thanks for all of the old posts advising on memory use and upgrading. It really influenced my decision. Also, thanks for spreading the word about Crucial...otherwise I might have been conned into spending $300 on the same memory I paid way less for.

:D

Attached Files:

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Congrates! I have 1.5 GB on my iMac and I am very pleased with it. Definately a step up from 640 MB in my eMac. I can run Photoshop, Aperture, Dreamweaver and some smaller stuff at the same time and still have over 50 MB free!

RAM rocks! :D

3. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Just added another 512MB to my eMac today, putting me up to 1GB. I noticed quite the change. Everything seems snappier. I haven't had a single pageout all day, either.

EDIT: I got the RAM from OWC. So far, I am very happy with my purchase.

4. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

Ah ha, yes, more ram is good. I personally go with generic stuff for our computers. I usually order from 18004memory.com, and haven't had any problems with the different types of memory over the years. So you paid the premium price for the same stuff... now go return it and load yourself up with 4GB for the same price. ;):D

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

This thread reminds me I need more RAM!!!!:eek:

shadow

6. Eithanius macrumors 65816

believe it or not.... my iMac with 1GB RAM is still paging out....

7. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Since yesterday, I have gotten 1033 pageouts, which is still great compared to how many I would get with 512MB.

8. Eithanius macrumors 65816

can't say much about 512MB, coz my stock RAM was 1GB....

I'm at 1731....

9. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

After how many days of uptime? Right now, I'm at 1 Day, 7 hours, 3 minutes.

10. Eithanius macrumors 65816

20 hours 13 minutes.....

11. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

That's still not too bad, though. I think the reason I got the pageouts I did was from messing around in iPhoto. That usually always seems to generate a few pageouts. Right now, I'm giving this app called iView Media a try. It's a little bit like iPhoto, but it lets you keep your pics in their original folder, instead of making it's own library folder. It seems pretty cool so far.

EDIT: Okay, once I got my photos imported into iView Media, I realized that it doesn't look, nor function as well as iPhoto. (Also, I believe it costs $50. iLife is only $79, so it's a much better deal for what you get, in my opinion.) I can't wait 'til MacWorld to see if they introduce iLife '06. I love iPhoto now, but it'd be even better with more features. I'm still on iPhoto 4, by the way.

12. Eithanius macrumors 65816

iView Media..... read about it on my local Mac community today.... it's a good add-on for iPhoto..... but I've yet to try it.....

perhaps my pageouts were the resultant of browsing, multi-session chatting, iTunes, BT, DC, WAN- and LAN-transfer..... :D (*sweat)...

I think I'll max out my RAM, but going for a single 2GB module seems like a waste of money though.....

13. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I'd say you'd notice a pretty big improvement going from 1GB to 2GB.