Added RAM, computer SLOWER?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by adiliegro, Oct 5, 2004.

1. adiliegro macrumors newbie

Sep 23, 2004
    I thought the dual Channel ram was supposed to make the computer a bit faster. I had 768 megs of RAM in my iMac G5 and today i got my 512 stick from Crucial. Popped it in so I now have a gig of RAM in there. Seems the machine slowed down. The RAM is being recognized and all, but I thought having two 512 sticks in there would activate the dual channel and make this thing fly...NOT.

Maybe I need to upgrade it to 2 gigs? I just cant figure out why it actually feels a bit slower to me. Maybe Im overexpecting or something...who knows?
  2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    You cant just throw in dual channel memory, new imac doesnt use dual channel just standard ddr ram unless im wrong. Not like my shiny new Aurora which was made with dual channel in mind.
  3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Yes, adding slower speed ram will make the ram slower. The iMac takes PC3200 (200MHz) if you had a 512 and 256 in there both running at 3200 speeds (even though it's not dual channel) then both would be running at 3200. If you took out the 256 and put in say PC2700 or PC2100 ram, both sticks of ram will run at PC2700 or PC2100. Think of it as the weakest link, you computer (in this case, your ram) is only as fast as the weakest part.