Adding 250 GB hard drive to QuickSilver

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dPratt, May 6, 2005.

1. dPratt macrumors member

My PowerMac is 867mhz, I think that's a QuickSilver. Anyway, I ordered a Maxtor 250GB internal hard drive. Now that I have the install guide, it says that to access a drive larger than 137 GB, I need a Mac-compatible Ultra ATA/133 PCI card (that info would have been more useful before I ordered). Anyway, according to MacTracker the QuickSilver has an Ultra ATA/66 hard drive bus (which I assume is the same thing as a PCI card, but I really don't know). So will my nice new hard drive not be recognized as 250 GB? Would it be worth it to add an Ultra ATA/133 PCI card? Thanks for any help.

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Yes.

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

4. dPratt thread starter macrumors member

Touché. Ignorance will get you every time. I had no idea there were limits to the hard drive capacity I could install :rolleyes:

Any recommendations for PCI cards? A quick search shows Siig brand cards for about $75-80 and Tempo brand for about $135. Since I know nothing about these brands/cards, any advice would be appreciated.

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Don't have any experience with any ATA 133 cards, but personally I would stick with a well known brand in the mac world...Sonnet. Priced decent too.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/item/4797/STITAT133/

Just my opinion, of course...

Might be a better idea to go SATA instead.

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I ran into the same issue with my Quicksilver 867Mhz. I knew at that point my computer was obsolete. Instead of buying a PCI card, I chose to sell the computer and get a dual G5. This post probably won't help you, but at a certain point, it makes more sense to upgrade the whole computer.