Adding a Superdrive?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by nospleen, Apr 22, 2003.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I am going to add a superdrive to a dual 1.25 Powermac. Two questions.
    1.) Which one should I get if I want it to show up as a Superdrive on iDVD?

2.) Cheapest place to buy it, llink please. :D

2. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

www.mcetech.com. I got one from them and it was truely plug and play. Its competively priced too. I give it a 10 out of 10.

3. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Re: Adding a Superdrive?

If you want it to work with idvd it (legally) has to be the Pioneer DVR-104 or the Sony "?" which is on the new Apple models.

There is also a patch floating around so that any dvd-rw will work with idvd, however I didnt know if you wanted to keep it on the up and up :D

4. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

Yeah, the internal is a Pioneer A05/ Some people have issues getting idvd to work with them. usually a uninstall and reinstall of idvd fixes it. MCE advertises that the drives are idvd compitible, i thought that was odd, but they were right, I just hope apple doesnt go after them.

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Re: Re: Adding a Superdrive?

Actually, even if you bought the OEM Pioneer DVD burner, it still wouldn't be "legal". Apple pays the MPEG guys a royalty on every SuperDrive equipped Mac. If you buy a regular PowerMac and install a DVD burner and use iDVD, you'd still be sideskirting the royalty. This applies even if you legitamately purchase iLife (the iLife fee does not pay a royalty to the MPEG group).

The only legal way to use iDVD is to buy a Mac with a SuperDrive.

6. scottw macrumors newbie

Pioneer A04, A05, 104 or 105 should work - the "A" variety comes with software, so buy the "1" as it's cheaper. I bought a 105 and put it in the second bay. The only problem is that sometimes it ignores the eject button - otherwise everything works fine.

7. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Thanks everyone!!

8. Hockey Nut macrumors member

I got the Pioneer. i had a problem with it hanging with a few minutes left on the burn.
    I found out that you have to make sure you have energy saver set to "never sleep" while burning.
    Also, make sure you move the combo drive to the bottom bay, and install the Pioneer on top.

9. Rufus macrumors newbie

I also had/have the Eject problem.

I eventually tightened the diagnosis to this specific condition : the computer puts the drive to sleep with a disc in it, while the computer stays awake.

So to keep from having the Eject problem you should set drive to sleep "Never". However, you can let the computer go to sleep, or use the sleep command in the apple menu. When the computer wakes itself back up, it resets the drive state.

If you do get stuck sometime with a disc in the drive and Eject not working, just put your computer to sleep. It should be fine when it wakes up.