Adding Bluetooth to Power Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macbaseball, Jul 1, 2005.

1. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I searched the forum, and couldn't find anything...

So I bought my Power Mac from Amazon, (I saved $500), and I'm trying to figure out how to get all the BTO options that I would have gotten. I've figured out how to get everyhing but bluetooth. Perhaps I'm not searching correctly on Google. What can I do to add bluetooth internally.

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i don't think you can...its a BTO from apple.....

3. macbaseball thread starter macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Ok, I was hoping there was a third party solution - I guess not.

4. JoshRtek macrumors member

I think you can buy Bluetooth USB modules that you can plug into any USB 1.1 ports (Keyboard, or on the CPU, etc). Not sure who manufacutures these... Might want to do a Google search for it.

With a quick visit, I found this on Apple's website when researching their wireless keyboard:

"D-Link DBT-120 USB Bluetooth Adapter" Give that a Google, and you should be set!

5. icarusflies macrumors member

Are there any usb cards that have an internal port on the card? (I know there are firewire cards like this). You could always put a bluetooth dongle on that - but the reception would be poor due to the shielding on the macs casing.

I think the only answer is an external dongle. If you can't spare the ports - get a hub.

6. noel4r macrumors 6502a

The USB Bluetooth Adapter is not that bad, just plug it in the back of the PM and you're good to go. It works flawlessly.

7. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Yeh but they're so god damn Ugly :p I also want an internal one.. the slot is there, in the PowerMac, there just aren't enought PowerMac parts around.

Edit: Here you can get an internal bluetooth module to fit yourself :p But USA only I think.

PowerMac G5 Parts

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I have a Power Mac with BT and to be honest the BT aerial is bigger than a USB dongle. So I don't think it really matters one way or the other which option you go for, both end up with something hanging off the back of your Mac. ;)