Adding Bluetooth & Wireless afterwards

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cynerjist, Dec 10, 2006.

1. cynerjist macrumors regular

Nov 8, 2006
    I've done a search for this, but came up empty.

Anyway, I am eyeing some discounted Mac Pros on e-bay and refurbs from the Mac Store. Unfortunately, many of them do not include the Airport Extreme and Bluetooth. I know I can add the Airport Extreme easily, but what about the Bluetooth? Where can I buy that to put it in?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2006
    Sheffield, England
    This is exactly what I did. Bought on the refurb site - and had the modules fitted at an Apple store. Apple do not sell the upgrades on their web store - because fitting them is not completely simple. But some mail-order vendors do sell the modules to install yourself.

One word of warning - a lot of Mac Pro users with the Apple Airport module are getting less-than-ideal throughput and see low signal strength. It looks like this particular Airport card needs a firmware update.

Until this problem is resolved by Apple, I'd suggest looking at alternatives.
  3. rlove06 macrumors member

Aug 13, 2006
    Washington, DC
    If you don't mind using up one of your USB ports than the quickest way to Bluetooth is a dongle. I would get this d-link one. I've bought it for several clients and carry one around as well. No problems.
  4. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    Apple can add both Airport and Bluetooth to your machine at a retail store. I don't think there's an alternative to the Airport, but you could get a BT dongle that plugs into a USB port, which would be less expensive.