Adding DRM to video?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by uaaerospace, Oct 4, 2006.

1. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

Before I start, let me say that I am hate DRM as much as the next person when it prevents reasonable use of the item protected.

My question is this. How can I add DRM to a video so that a password or file is required to play? I work for a university distance education support center, and I have been asked to find a way to deliver and protect online counseling videos. The students in the online class are holding and filming their sessions. The clients have agreed for the video to be used for educational purposes. I need a way to post the videos so that only the students in the course can watch the videos. Our steaming server offers no protection, so I'm thinking about some type of DRM applied to the actual video files. The students and my office run windows (yeah, it's nice when I get home....:)) Any thoughts? Thanks

2. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

Sorry I dont really have a good answer, I have only added security to DVD's but never to the video itself, but anyways...

I think it would be much easier to password protect the site were the student get access to the video.

Are you really are streaming the video or providing a download?

EDIT: check out http://www.openmediacommons.org/

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

A s
    imple way to do this would be to use a standalone encryption program to encrypt the files. You would have to distribute the "key" via some other channel like paper, voice or (not a good) email. they would then decrypt the files on their PC and watch the video. The problem is (1) once decrypted the files remain viewable by anyone untill they are deleted (2) you would have to teach your users how to use the software.

There are a number of free encryption programs so there is no cost involved

Here is one URL to get you going .. http://www.gnupg.org/

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

password protecting the site/page would be much easier than trying to PW protect the video itself (which I'm not even sure that's possible w/o some sort of proprietary setup).

Lethal

5. uaaerospace thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I have some homework!

The site containing the video link is a secure site (WebCT), however the videos are being streamed from another wide open server. I will look into the possibility of putting the video files (as downloads) within WebCT.

6. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

If he is truly streaming the video then he won't have to encryp the video at all, since the client can't easily save the file.

Why make something simple complicated? Go with PW protecting the site!

7. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

If you are familiar with programing you could do the following using flash:

Provide User Name & Password Login - > if correct login change the scene to a FLV (Flash Video) similar to YouTube but with a login. Flash would protect the file from being manipulated or obtained easily.