Adding extentions to extention less files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jocool5, Mar 24, 2006.

1. jocool5 macrumors member

jocool5

Hi all,
    I was just wondering if anyone has ever encounterd a program that will add the extention to files. I have a pc that needs the extentions and a mac that just dosn't care to add them. I don't want to go throught and add them manualy and i have about 100-180 files that need extentions(all different kinds).

Thanks
    Joe

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Try fileXTension

From the manual:

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Since Apple transitioned to MacOS X, it has evangelized extensions as the standard mechanism for distinguishing among file types. Most MacOS X apps default to adding extensions. The first thing that you need to do is to make sure that your extensionless files are indeed extensionless. This is important because your file extensions may be optionally hidden.

There are numerous file manipulation and renaming utilities. You can find many of them here. Understand that there are no shortcuts to Glory. If you routinely do not append extensions to your file names, you are going to have change habits.

4. jocool5 thread starter macrumors member

jocool5

my extentions are not optionly hidden, and I now have the add extention in everything, there are just some files on my os9 compy, and there are no extention options that i could find for them on the orignial compy. thanks for the input thought, i Kindly thank you.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

When I have to move user's Mac data to a Windows share, I go thru all their crap with Filenamer and add the extensions based on file tpye/creator.