adding extra internal HD on first Dual PM

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Alte22a, May 23, 2003.

1. Alte22a macrumors 6502

Hi can anyone help.

Is it possible to add extra IDE drives to my Dual 500 power mac. at the moment I have standard 40Gb plus a 70GB, then I have a Zip dirve and the DVD ram drive. Is there a PCI card that I could add so that I can add additional drives?

Any help will be very appreciated. THANKS!!

2. Mblazened macrumors regular

3. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

sure, ide controller cards are a dime a dozen. you might want to make sure there is a space left to mount the drive first though :rolleyes:

you consider whether you really need the zip drive anymore too....

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Alte22a

I use a Sonnet Tempo 133 myself, and it works well. It has Two ATA busses so If I wished, I could add four more than the stock ability to use two.

However, I'd like to add to melchior's space consideration with these:

Power.

Make sure your power unit can juice the extra drive(s).

Heat.

You're machine can cool all the drives, provided the back of the machine is well ventilated, and the innards are dusted frequently.
    Adding more drive will decrease airflow, and increas heat output, so it will be more sensitive to proper ventilation.

5. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

another thing, which is what I do, is to put each hard drive on its own IDE bus, its not mission critical, but it makes for faster file transfers from disk to disk (like backups) cause IDE can only write to one drive at a time for each bus. So if you get a new ATA card, put your second HD on the new card on channel 1 and put the third HD on the new card on channel 2. Hope I didn't confuse you more. I know what I am trying to say, but am having trouble putting it into words.