adding folder of mp3s to iTunes on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by paulold, May 15, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

I am helping a friend with setting up his iTunes for the first time - he's never used it before and he has a new Windows 7 laptop. All of his music is in one folder. And when I chose Add Folder to Library, it was working fine until it came across a file that apparently had a filename that was too long for Windows to handle. (His music files used to be on a mac.) So about a third of the way thru the import he got an error message and the import stopped. So now he has only a third of his songs in his library. How does he get the rest imported?

I did find a couple of songs that have crazy long filenames so I instructed him to fix those. But what about the import? Should we delete the songs we added (by putting the library in Date Added order) and try again or will iTunes skip over the songs it had already added? I don't want dupes.

Thanks!

2. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Delete the ones that have been added to iTunes fix any long file names and re add the folder.