adding internal hard drives in dual 800

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by jelloshotsrule, Jan 30, 2003.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

question to anyone who has or knows a good deal about the insides of the dual 800s and that model of quicksilver..

i have 2 hard drives inside. an internal zip. and superdrive.... 4 things... is it possible to add an additional hard drive internally?

i had thought that i'd seen that people with dual 800s had 4 hard drives in... and even without a zip, they probably had some sort of optical... so i would think that the zip would be kinda like a 4th hard drive.... so i thought it would work

any help/insight would be great. thanks.

2. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

now this thread is momentarily back at the top to gain some more attention.

3. Draft macrumors 6502

You'd need to add an additional IDE controller in one of your PCI slots. I believe that there's only one IDE controller for hard drives on the motherboard. This controller can drive 2 hard disks. If you wanted any more, you have to add an additional IDE controller.

Also, I wouldn't recommend putting a hard drive on the bus of any of the optical drives. Doing this would slow down the performance of the fastest drive on the bus down to the speed of the slowest drive on the bus.

Draft

4. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ok, that confirms my fears then.

i just was pretty sure lethalwolfe had said he had the same computer and was putting in 4 drives. but maybe i'm wrong or maybe he added a controller..

thanks.

5. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

yeah, i just checked a QS 733 here at work and it only has 2 controllers. you know the rest. :(

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There are two controller the ATA-33 and ATA-66, the Optical and the zip are most likely on the ATA-33 and you've already got two HDs on the 66.

Sounds like you've filled your 4 factory spots.

But there is space for more HDs, just requires another controller.

7. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

word... thanks all

now i just have to decide whether to replace the 40 or 45... the latter of which is a drive that has been known to fail (my brother's bought at the same time has already failed)... granted it won't "necessarily" fail. but probably not worth the risk

anyhoo, thanks again.

8. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Hey Jello, I have room for 4 drives in my machine. hehehe.

Ok, now that I'm done being a jerk, why don't you replace the maybe bad one with a nice 120GB drive? You can get one for around $160 including shipping. Not a bad price.

9. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

why do you think i'm asking? assneck

ha.

yeah, i got one...

word

10. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

assneck, eh? Thats a pretty good one :rolleyes:

11. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you should be out drinking

new question.... can i take out the built in hard drive? i ask because it's stuck in there pretty good and there aren't any visible screws from the side or anything.... so either i can't take it out with my current tools. or i'm missing something

any help would be great.

(i realized my initial drive is 5400 rpm, whereas the one i kinda want to replace is 7200... well, either i can run off my new 120 at 7200, or i can use it as a scratch disk, etc... and run off the 5400... or i can replace the 5400 with the new one... assuming it's possible)

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Remove the ribbon cable, and there should be a screw in the same place on the dual drive carrier as there is on the other two single drive carriers.

http://www.info.apple.com/installparts

And place the hot drive on top.

13. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

So, in addition to that link....don't you have the books that came with your computer?

Cause it has instructions with pictures and everything. Tells you step by step and all. It's really good. you should check it out.

14. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

that's an awesome link... never seen that before. has freaking movies for everything too. awesome, thanks

i had found the proper screw to take out... but unfortunately, upon trying to unscrew it, i only succeeded in grinding up the screw and never got it out... at this point, i might be happy with the set up the way it is... i'm not sure.

i mean i think i'll see a boost in performance running the os off such a good drive (8 mb cache and all), so i might just chill with this. if the initial drive had been 7200, this wouldn't have been a tough decision

anyhoo, thanks a lot