Adding iTunes music to Final Cut Express HD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Josephkyles, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Josephkyles macrumors regular

last night I was trying to put together a short video using FCE HD (I just got it, and I'm hooked) but I couldn't get any of my iTunes music to play correctly! In iMovie this works perfectly without any flaws or mishaps, eventually I gave up and imported my FCE project into iMovie and added the song I wanted. I didn't try using Soundtrack to add the iTunes song, would that solve my problem??

2. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Yes.. lol

3. Josephkyles thread starter macrumors regular

Oh! And I had another question about FCE, How do I remove the audio from a video track other than simply turning it off, how do I delete it??:apple:

4. Josephkyles thread starter macrumors regular

And....'One more thing' When importing video, I got a warning that said something about dropped frames, that sounds really bad, what do I do about that? Oh, and I doubt it has anything to do with my hardware, I have a pretty good system.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

What kind of camera do you have and how is it connected?

6. Josephkyles thread starter macrumors regular

It is a Canon Optura 50, and its connected with a firewire cable

7. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

On the top right side of your timeline you will see two small buttons. One looks like a sideways infinity symbol or something like that. If you click that so it is no longer green and it is not selected it will unlink audio and video. So you can move around audio and video separate from each other. Or you can double click it and under stereo move the volume all the way down.

8. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Im not sure about FCE but FCP gets pissy if you put MP3s or other compressed audio in.
    edit: nvm.... i remember having issues with this in the past.

9. Proto Media macrumors member

you can also hit command l to unlock the audio from the video track, then select the audio track and delete it.

You can also just hit the little "a1" and "a2" buttons next to the audio in the timeline on the left, that way, only the video will be put on the timeline when you drag clips from the viewer.

10. Josephkyles thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help! And when you are done with a project and you want to delete it, there are so many files that are attached to the one project, how am I supposed to find all these files to trash! What are some of your suggestions for keeping organized in FCE?

11. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

the problem with the sound is that the sample rate of your music doesn't match the audio sample rate of DV...

open it in quicktime and export the song with a sample rate of 48k and it'll work just fine.

12. Josephkyles thread starter macrumors regular

I have a live type file, a reference video for live type. A soundtrack file and a reference video for soundtrack, cache, audio render files, auto save files, capture cache, there must be a better way to delete your old projects other than searching them all down!

13. Proto Media macrumors member

use media manager. I am not sure if express has this option, but if it does, use it, it will help consolidate all of your media into one spot. Also, whenever I set up a new project, I always make a folder that goes in the same folder as the project file, and I label it FCP. I then set this as the capture scratch right off the bat, and within that FCP folder, three new folders will be made. I believe they are: render files, audio waveform cache, and capture scratch. I then make another folder in the same folder as the project file called "media" which is where I send all of my assorted materials from other programs, so they are all together, then, when you want to move the project, You just have one folder, and inside it is the project file, that FCP folder I mentioned above (which contains all of FCPs materials) and then also your media folder which will hold PSD's, audio, motion exports, AE exports, whatever else you need.

Everyone has their own little system, and this one seems to work for me, so I thought I would share it with you. Good luck and happy editing.