Adding more harddrives to a G5?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by faust69usa, Jun 14, 2004.

1. faust69usa macrumors newbie

So i just bought a dual 1.8 G5 and it only has the 2 harddrive bays, and ive heard rumors that there are replacement panels for adding 2 more harddrives (the clear panel that protects the fants etc) but i cant find any links on the web to anyone selling those aftermarket panels. can anyone help? any info would be great. thanks!

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I'm not sure about all of this, but I'll just throw in a bit of advice that you've probably already considered--You'll probably void your warranty!

3. Biker21098 macrumors member

more harddrives

There are a couple ways. I know Wiebe Tech makes the G5 JAM, it holds two more drives. There is also another company that makes something. It holds 3, and hen i checked it out I was more impressed with it. They are both very expensive, it would be cheaper to go with a few external enclosures. I would reccomend cooldrives.com and macsales.com (OWC) both have some great enclosures. Good luck.

4. Biker21098 macrumors member

5. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

combine that with the G5 Jam and 400GB SATA drives (ok make it expensive now) and you can add 7 drives, for a total of 2.8 TB but then say byebye to any left over PCI slot, You'll need them all for the extra SATA cards...

G5 Jam: http://www.wiebetech.com/products/G5Jam.html

6. faust69usa thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys thats exatctly what i was looking for, but i guess i wont get it, the price is way to high. ill just go external i guess and have to be happy with that.