Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seablue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
Right now my eMac 800 MHz 133MHz is running on only 384MB. I would like to upgrade the memory on it.
My question is.... is it easy to do myself? Do I need to worry about static? Where would be a good place to do it - I have wall to wall carpeting inside the house.
I just have this fear of opening up the computer and dinking with its insides.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Right now my eMac 800 MHz 133MHz is running on only 384MB. I would like to upgrade the memory on it.
My question is.... is it easy to do myself? Do I need to worry about static? Where would be a good place to do it - I have wall to wall carpeting inside the house.
I just have this fear of opening up the computer and dinking with its insides.

Yes, it is quite easy. Your USB 1.1 eMac requires PC133 RAM DIMMs, it will take 2 x 512 Mb DIMMs for a max of 1 Gb RAM. There is a trap door on the bottom of the machine that gives access to the memory. The only hassle is if you have the tilt-and-swivel stand installed, then you will need Allan keys to remove the 3 screws that hold on stand before you can get at the trap door.
Lay a towel on a desk to rest the screen on as you do the operation. Unplug the machine from the mains. Either wear an anti-static wrist strap, or keep a finger resting on the metal chassis of the machine. Here's the Manual

seablue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
Hey thanks. Where do you get those wrists bands? I like that idea!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.