adding my Airport Express to a wlan network

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sancgreal, Apr 9, 2005.

1. sancgreal macrumors newbie

sancgreal

im new to wlan, and recently bought AirP'express for w'less printing and audio.

i find that i always have to switch between two networks: my AirP'express (to and my wlan-dlink-internet connection.

i dunno how to mesh the two together, do use the airport utility? bridged mode or something or rather?

any helpful tips to a newbie, welcome

2. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Add the AEx to your WLAN as a client.

Search the forums. This has been answered several times.

3. NEoPHYte31 macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, there is no way around this. If you were using a firmware-modified linksys router, an airport extreme or express instead of the D-Link, then you could move seamlessly between the two networks because they would be seen as one.

I would suggest dumping the D-Link and getting an Airport Extreme Basestation.

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

This is incorrect. For the things sancgreal is doing - wireless printing and audio - setting the AE up as a client (as ChrisBrightwell said) will do exactly what you want.

It is worth noting that wireless printing and audio is ALL that the AE can do in client mode. You can't extend your wireless network, the Ethernet jack can't be used, etc. If want to take advantage of those capabilities at some point in the future, then you definitely will need to rethink your choice of base station.

5. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I was pretty sure I managed to get a client-mode AEx to bridge the link to the ethernet port.

I'll have to try that again.