Adding other dictionaries to the Tiger dictionary app

Discussion in 'macOS' started by osx_nop, May 9, 2005.

1. osx_nop macrumors newbie

Nov 30, 2004
    Has anyone tried to add other dictionaries to the dictionary app in Tiger? Seeing the really cool integration*) of the dictionary in Safari I wonder if it is possible to add say a German dictionary to the app so you could look up German words.
    I'm sure other people would love to have other languages available in this nice little app as well.

*) If you don't know what integration I speak of, try pressing Cmd-Ctrl-D while moving the mouse pointer over some words on a webpage in Safari.
  2. H2Orange macrumors newbie

May 6, 2005
    why not?

I wondered the same thing as I wrote in my blog yesterday. I'd rather not fork over the $20 for a Spanish dictionary without knowing, though I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work, as the dictionary app seems to query all loaded dictionaries...

Tiger already does so much that I can't see why Apple would stop here? What about those who chose French as their preferred language? I'd imagine the app would work for them as well, yes? So after loading all those other languages onto my PB, why can't Dictionary give me the option of running those dictionaries by default?