Adding ram afterwards

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jer446, May 3, 2005.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

Can anyone here explain the policy on adding ram. I know that i should buy the ram myself and install it myself, but my dad spoke to an apple rep and they said it would voide my warranty on my brand new mac. Can someone here explain that most people add the ram themselves because it is cheaper, and apple isnt strict on it number one and they wouldnt knw if a certified technician did it or not. Any other ehlp is appreciaed.

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

It depends on the machine that you install it in. Be a little more specific. For example, installing RAM in a Mac Mini voids the warrantee, but installing RAM in a Powerbook doesn't.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Apple cannot void your warranty simply because you put some other RAM into the RAM socket. This is protected in the USA under the Moss-Magnusson-something Act. They have to prove damage caused by the user or the product installed.

So they CAN void the warranty if you damage the machine whilst installing, or if the RAM you install damages the machine. Not otherwise.

The Mac Mini is kinda special, in that it is not designed for owners to get into. there are no screws. You need two flexible putty knives to pry the plastic chassis out of the alumninum shell. There is a possibility of doing damage there if you don't take care.

Our local Apple Authorized dealer will install your RAM for you for $40 labour if you're not confident.

Also some Apple service centers also play silly-&^%%=#s with warranty repairs, where if they spot 3rd party RAM in it, they send automatically it back with the RAM in a baggie and a note saying "Bad 3rd party RAM" -- no matter what the problem really was. So, hang onto your Apple RAM and reinstall that if you ever have to send it in.

4. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

*beeeehhhh* wrong, try again! It won't void the warranty on the mac mini so long as you don't damage the machine while in the process of upgrading it.

5. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I didn't know that. That's what I had read. CanadaRAM clarified that for me. Sorry about that.