Adding RAM question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 66217, Jan 30, 2006.

1. 66217 Guest

Jan 30, 2006
    I want to buy a MacBook Pro. I would like tu buy a 2g Ram, but they are too expensive, and I read something about a company that makes RAM chips(i don't know if they are chips:confused: ) for Mac computers, but do they include notebooks, or only desktops?

I mean, is it possible to add RAM to a notebook withouth too much complications?

Sorry for my bad grammar.:(
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    The MacBook Pro takes the same exact memory as the new Intel iMacs (literally - you can take RAM out of an iMac and put it into the MacBook Pro).

It'll run you ~US$60 for a 512MB stick, and ~US$115 for a 1GB stick (at least when shipped to a US address).

They come with 1 stick installed, and you can order a second one (or even two new ones, if, for example, you want 2GB total and it comes with 512MB, which you'd sell) from many places (OWC, Crucial, etc.), including (probably) many companies not in the US (if you're not living in the US).

Installation is trivial in an iMac, and, although I haven't seen a MacBook Pro in person, likely takes only a minute or two to install in one of those.