adding RAM to iBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bill4588, Feb 6, 2006.

1. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

I would just like to know if I would be able to add more RAM in the future if I got an iBook? Would I have to take it to an Apple store or could I do it myself?

2. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

You can easily add RAM yourself. Be warned though, that the iBook only has one RAM slot (in addition to the 512MB of RAM soldered on the board).

3. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

So if I get 1GB at first and wanted to add more RAM i'd have to get a 1GB stick to replace one of the 512's?

4. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Yup.

5. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

6. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

oh one more question. does it take normal notebook ram or is there a special kind for macs?

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, there isn't a single standard for notebook RAM . The iBook takes PC2700 DDR SODIMMs (some iBooks are specified for PC2100 but all of those will use iBook-compatible PC2700 modules, so we recommend sticking with PC2700). Apple requires them to conform tightly to the JEDEC specifications, including the Serial Presence Detect settings, Not all RAM manufacturers bother to comply 100%, so some RAM will not work in the Mac.

Your best bet is to buy from a reputable seller who tests and guaranbtees compatibility with your model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty, and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

8. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

There is a special brand for Mac notebooks, but you don't necessarily need that. If you get RAM from a reputable company (Kingston, for instance) it should work just fine. As for the type of RAM, they're mainly the same. There's something about the timing for Mac-specific RAM that's different, but that's only marginally important.

Assuming you're using the 2005 model, any stick of DDR333 SO-DIMM should work fine (but again, I'd advise Kingston). That's what I put in my iBook, and it works perfectly fine.