adding ram to imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by HugMnster, Jan 19, 2007.

1. HugMnster macrumors member

I'm thinking of getting a new mac. I have a mac mini now, the old one. I do some video editing an want a bit more powerful machine for that. I know I can go with a new core duo mini or I might go with an iMac if I can swing it. Have to see how my money comes in for it. My question is If I go with a stock imac an want to add ram later how easy is it to add ram to the imac. If I go with the mini I will have apple add more ram even though it cost more thrue them, I do not want to attempt to open the mini up.

thanks

jack

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

RAM is easily user-accessible on the new iMacs, so you should have no problem installing it yourself.

3. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

The iMac has a door that you open and insert the RAM. Waay easier than the MacMini. The iMac is definately "user upgradeable" by design.

Although personally, I wouldn't have a problem opening up the Mini. I come from a long history of taking apart Mac's: Mac Plus and SE's, iMac G3's and upgrading the hard drive in my PowerBook 15".

4. HugMnster thread starter macrumors member

thanks for info

Thanks to all for the info. I think if I can swing the imac I may just go for it over the mini.

jack

5. danielpoole06 macrumors newbie

What about on the 1Ghz eMacs? easy or hard to install extra RAM?

6. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

7. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Pretty easy. See for yourself.