Adding Ram to Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by U2Rules!, Jul 5, 2004.

1. U2Rules! macrumors member

Jul 4, 2004
    I've just purchased a 12 in. Powerbook and can't wait to get it!!! I've noticed on several posts that adding Ram through Apple is a rip-off, so I only got the 256 mb built-in. I went to from advice seen here and purchased a 512 mb chip to add. My question is...How hard is this to add and should I add it 1st thing before I start my computer up? Will adding this chip also void my warranty? Thanks for the help.
  2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    Adding RAM is very simple, and it will not void your warranty. RAM is a user installable part. I believe their are directions in the PowerBook's manual that explain how to install the RAM.

I recommend that you startup your PowerBook first, and get it all setup to make sure it works properly before you install the new RAM.

Congartulations on your new PB!
  3. telecomm macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    Installing RAM in a powerbook is probably the easiest upgrade you can perform. There are instructions for doing so in your user's guide, and apple has a pdf document giving instructions here.
  4. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Yes, make sure the computer works first. That way you'll know right away if there's a problem with the RAM when you install it. If there is, Crucial will replace it, no questions asked. Also, make sure you run a bunch of programs at once -- max out your computer's performance -- before you install you new RAM. Then when you've installed it, you'll be able to appreciate the amazing performance difference you got by purchasing the extra RAM.
  5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    Congrats on getting your new Powerbook! Crucial RAM shouldn't give you any problems; I have yet to hear of any bad RAM coming from them. :)
  6. vwguy macrumors member

Apr 6, 2004
    Silicon Valley
    Just get some branded ram (e.g. Crucial) or you will get annoying hangups/kernal panics all the time. Arrghhhh....
  7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    You may want to look at DINMM (Do I Need More Memory? It will let you know what your best option is for memory based on your own usage.

I went with the other big name in Mac memory, OWC for my 1gb module for my 12" rev. B.