Adding ram void warranty?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Dr. J, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Dr. J macrumors member

If you add ram to your mbp or pb yourself, does it void the warranty?

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Adding RAM does not void the warranty on any Mac, except possibly the Mac mini, and even then, it's only void if you damage it in the process (unless you're a certified Apple tech), or install RAM that somehow kills something else. Think of it like adding a turbocharger to a car. If the rear suspension breaks, the warranty on that part isn't void because of the turbo (although some dealers may argue this), but if the cylinder head goes, you're SOL.

3. Dr. J thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply. I just got off the phone with Apple and they said the same thing. The guy tried to talk me into buying a MBP. He told me they started shipping them yesterday, and that he was waiting for the 17" version due latter in the year.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yeah, as if a sales dude has the information to preannounce a product.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Also, a nice sales tactic to discuss how you don't want what you're selling because a better one is coming out later on.

6. Dr. J thread starter macrumors member

Pretty funny eh?? I would give you guys his extension number, but he would never here the end of it.

7. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Since when did he announce it, he simply stated he was waiting for a 17" version:rolleyes:

8. AJBMatrix macrumors 6502

AJBMatrix

I would like to meet someone or hear from someone that has thier MBP shipping now. It would give me a little glimpse of sunshine.