Adding RAM

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Pilgrims Pro, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Pilgrims Pro macrumors regular

I am pretty new to Macs, when I bought my iBook, I only went with 256mb RAM cause people told me to add it myself (cause it would be cheaper). So now I want to max out the RAM to 640, what kind of RAM do I need and can I buy it at Circuit City?

2. Pilgrims Pro thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I should have mention what I have. I have the 933MHz G4 iBook. It has 128 fixed, and a 128 chip. Thanks in advance.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

4. Pilgrims Pro thread starter macrumors regular

THANK YOU!!!!

Ordered it, they are offering $10 off on a order of $100 or more.

Sweet!!!!!

5. Pilgrims Pro thread starter macrumors regular

Just installed the RAM, very big improvement, thanks again for the help.

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

For anyone wondering, there is the option to get a 1gb chip to max the ibook to 1152 mb ram, at http://www.transintl.com/

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

OutThere761, I'm not sure why anyone would want to install that much RAM on their iBook, simply because the maximum is 640MB.

(For anyone that is unsure about the maximum amount of RAM a computer can hold, I encourage you to download MacTracker for two reasons: (A) to verify the correct maximum amount of RAM, and (B) to avoid conflicting RAM quantities and reduce confusion.)

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The actual RAM is advertised as "for the iBook G4." I think that the reason that they say 640 is that there were no 1 gig chips that were slim enough for the iBook's slot. Since DDR SODIMM comes in different thicknesses, and the iBook can't handle the highest thickness, there was no 1gb chips that were thin enough. Trans Intl. has released a slim enough chip to fit in the iBook G4, it was advertised on SpyMac and some other places as well. It's ridiculously over-priced (Like $450) but if you need that RAM...(I don't)

BTW: MacTracker is a really great app, I've been using it for something like 3 years now.

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

I see... http://www.transintl.com/macupgrades/moreinfo.cfm?number=100

Mactracker certainly does not implement such memory workarounds, as increased density RAM chips (as noted above). Yet my original concern was whether or not the iBook can recognize more than 640MB.

In fact, I made this issue a concern because there have been Apple computer "configurations" that allowed 'x' amount of memory, but only recognized 'x' - |n|. Specifically, the single processor AGP Graphics PowerMac G4 models of 1999 allowed 2GB of RAM to be read in OS X, but only 1.5GB in OS 9. I think this varying memory recognition issue also exists with the original iMac but in a different manner.

So my concern is: Does the iBook "see" >640MB RAM? If so, can it also see the 1152MB of RAM you brought up, OutThere?