Adding ringtones without syncing in iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsjustmeee, Dec 24, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

I was wondering if there's a way to add ringtones using a program like iexplorer without having to sync them in itunes. I can't just sync ringtones alone without syncing music and videos (which I've always found to be a bit annoying), so I was looking for a workaround.

Any suggestions?

2. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Can't you buy it directly on the iPhone - that should install it and not need to sync it, or am I incorrect

3. macrumors 603

saving107

You are correct, but I also recommend setting up the iPhone to be Manually Managed (because then all you have to do is drag and drop without syncing).

Managing content manually on iPhone, iPad, and iPod
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1535

4. itsjustmeee, Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011

thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was aware that ringtones can be purchased and downloaded right from the iphone, but the thought of buying one seems a bit crazy to me since they're so easy to make and readily available online.

I do have my iphone set up to be manually managed, but for some reason, the ringtones I dragged over to it didn't show up on actual phone so I thought it had to be synced. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Ah, I do see now how to do it ...... thanks.

5. macrumors 6502

dtbratt

I want to manually manage my iPhone but when I click apply it wants me to erase my iphone.

I have a few ringtones id like to add but cannot without itunes having to erase my content?

6. macrumors 68020

Rocko1

If you buy them you can. But they will sound just as bad as custom tones do. There is a bug with 5.XXX on this.

7. macrumors 6502a

There's a trick to this. You say ok and then unplug your phone before iTunes has a chance to remove all your apps. You have to be fast but it tricks iTunes into thinking it worked and all your stuff stays on your phone and you are now in manual mode.

Edit: Also make sure you have WiFi sync turned off for this. That could be messy.

8. macrumors 601

Sure you can. Uncheck sync for music and videos.

9. macrumors member

Newbie here-trying to transfer previous Android

ringtones which are now in iTunes under music to become iPhone 4s ringtones. I'm completely lost. Any help would be much appreciated.

10. macrumors newbie

OMG i registered just to thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. macrumors 6502a

You're welcome.

12. macrumors newbie

:) Just registered a new account on this forum to Thank you as well!, you Sir... tha' best!

13. macrumors member

Wow

That's actually works! Dude you're a star!

14. macrumors 604

Newtons Apple

What content is it wanting to erase? If you mean your albums, yes it will unless they are purchased or residing on your itunes computer.

15. macrumors newbie

Win!

Took me 3 tries to get the timing right; first time was about 1/10th second after I hit the Erase button, second about 1/4 second, third about 1/2 second. Each time I sat there staring at my screen, half expecting apps to start disappearing off it as the phone erased itself... but nope. After the 3rd try, when I plugged it back into iTunes, the Manual button had stuck, and I was able to transfer my ringtone!
    Thanks for this tip!