Adding Shared Windows XP Printer- Driver?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by monkeydo_jb, Oct 3, 2004.

1. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

So my wife and I picked up a Canon i960 the other day.

Great quality for the price, btw.

Anyway, I hooked it up to her Dell desktop, since it's much more stationary than
    my tibook.

Got the software installed (on both the PC and powerbook (panther.5)) and shared it.

My question is, though, where the driver is located on my powerbook for the printer.

I go to add a printer, it sees her desktop, I give a valid username/password, double
    click the printer just fine. However, then I can't seem to find a driver.

Canon i960 simply doesn't show up under Canon, and I've tried browsing all over the
    place for the thing.

I did plug the printer directly into my laptop, and sure enough, Canon i960 is detected and
    ready to use.

Please help me! I'm a Windows admin at work, so let me put it in Windows terms:

Where the hell is the .inf for my Canon i960?

Thanks in advance.

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Canon's Mac drivers do not seem to work with remote printers - they're likely not really compliant with the CUPS system (CUPS is the Linux/BSD printing subsystem that Mac OS X uses). If you were to plug the printer directly into the Powerbook and then go through the "new printer" stuff you'd see the driver.

TurboPrint sells drivers for Mac that work reasonably well for this. Another route is to do a Google search for "CUPS Canon i960 driver" - this will let you see what other printer drivers people are using that seem to work okay with the i960. Unfortunately (and this isn't meant to be a slam) if you're not a Linux person a lot of what you find may not make much sense, since Linux-heads tend to speak a language all their own. :D

The route I took with my older Canon i550 was to get a wireless access point that had a USB printer port (I've got the Apple Airport Extreme, but there are others out there of course). The Mac will treat it like a local printer, and for Windows I'm sure you already know about "local" IP printer ports. Actually to get it to work under Windows - because Canon's driver software for the i550 wouldn't let me create a new printer port - I had to first do a dummy installation using one of Windows built-in printer drivers to create the IP_192_168_1_1 port. Then I could go through Canon's driver installer, and just selected that IP port I'd just created. But it works really well, and now I don't have to leave our Windows computer on all the time just to act as a print server.

3. monkeydo_jb thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much for the reply, Westside Guy.

I was afraid that was the case with the Canon drivers.

I found a site that said to use the Canon BJC 8200 driver, but unfortunately
    it isn't aware of my 4x6 tray.

I actually speak linuxese quite well, but printing have never been a realm I've
    had to get into (until next month, when our new server is coming in to replace
    our aging NT server at work. I'm putting Gentoo on it and it will be our PDC and print server).

Didn't know if I was just missing something or what, so thanks for the help!