Adding songs without itunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by infinitemethod, Jun 19, 2006.

1. infinitemethod macrumors member

I hate itunes a lot. Is there a way to get the ipod to read the songs without using itunes? Is there a way to do this? Thanks.

2. Blind Buzzard macrumors member

For Windows I would use XPlay and on Mac I would use Senuti.

3. infinitemethod thread starter macrumors member

I have my complete collection on the ipod just as if it were an external hd and all the songs would show up just like they do now on the actual ipod with this program?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You could also go whole hog and just install rockbox firmware on your iPod.

B

5. Labi macrumors regular

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

A generalization (but an accurate one 99% of the time) but most people who 'hate' iTunes do so because their music library consists of badly (or not at all) tagged stolen music which doesn't play nice with the 'it needs to be tagged' nature of iTunes.

If you use a non-iTunes loading software then it still requires that the music be tagged. As someone else said you may be better off changing the firmware to Rockbox. This turns the iPod into a USB Mass Storage player which will allow you to directly navigate through music stored in an MS-DOS folder structure without tags. Either that, or sell the iPod and buy a Cowon iAudio X5 which is a USB Mass Storage player out of the box.