Adding sounds to Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by DaBuzz, Apr 21, 2004.

1. DaBuzz macrumors member

DaBuzz

I'm a switcher still learning the ropes on OS X...

How do you add a tune when your Mac starts up, or when an application launches? I've downloaded sound sets for Entourage, but I'd like to modify those and create my own, or at least have my own start up song (I mean, of course, once OS X is loading).

2. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

as for the OS, the only thing you can customize (easily) is the alert sound. here is how, very simple. http://www.mactipscafe.com/tip022/

anything beyond that would require some pretty deep OS hacking, don't know anything about that. instead, specific applications allow you to customize sounds. two good examples are Mail and iChat.

but ya know what? if you think about OS X doesn't really have very many sounds anyway, nothing compared to Windows. only ones i can think of are the Startup Chime, the Alert, the Volume clicks, and the Trash. outside of that most sounds are handled by the apps themselves.

3. Albone macrumors regular

I believe Xounds has something for you, but its shareware I think. Do a search on Version Tracker or yahoo. Cool sounds for OSX can be found as well with a quick search.

4. jywv8 macrumors 6502

I use Quick Startup Sound to play a clip on startup:

http://www.aquafiles.com/pages/Utilities/

"Quick Startup Sound is a tiny 2k freeware utility that brings back the Classic startup sound feature to MacOS X. It is very small and fast, because it runs in background, you can directly begin to use the Finder, even while the startup sound is playing."