adding wireless to 400Mhz iMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by stoid, Aug 16, 2004.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I have recently acquired an old 400Mhz Ruby slot-loaded CD-ROM iMac. What is the cheapest way to use it with my AirPort Express and iLife so that it works as a secondary music library for my less played songs, older photos, etc.?

2. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Anyone? I think that it is capable of taking a regular AirPort card, but those things are still 70-80 dollars on eBay, and that's more than I want to spend. Plus, it probably won't be too easy of install one of those.

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

its very easy to install airport cards in a slot loading iMac. They just go in the door at the bottom of the iMac if I remember correctly. you do also need the adaptor to make it fit though.

The linksys device works great by the way. Its not cheap, but its great and does not require drivers. I got one myself a little while ago. USB wireless adaptors seem to be much more troublesome for people.

4. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

You can go to www.macwireless.com and add a USB 802.11b adaptror, get a refurb Airport Card, or get another APEx unit and use an ethernet to connect to one and communicate wirelessly to the other.

Basically you are looking at 79 to 129 in terms of costs to do this.

5. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Well, I wasn't expecting it to cost that much, so it looks like I won't be using it for that then. :eek: Thanks for all your help though.

It's still a great machine for playing OS 9 games on though, since my laptop won't load into lower than Jaguar.