Additional HD

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iEric, Mar 8, 2004.

1. iEric macrumors 6502a

I was wanting to get an additional HD for my Dual MDD 1Ghz computer but I don't know which brand or which kind of connection I need to buy. Can anyone posts some good HD suggestions.

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

i'd get a 7200RPM 8MB buffer HD with ATA connection
    as far as brand, i've had a lot of trouble with IBM drives maxtor and western digital i've heard good things about

3. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

Western Digital is ok; overall, they're pretty good quality, but I have had some problems with them that I haven't with other brands. I'd recommend LaCie (although they can be pricey) and I have a Samsung and a Seagate I'm happy with.

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

LaCie is usually an external drive, not an internal. And they use standard (high quality) drives from manufacturers mentioned above.

5. iEric thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is installing easy? Does the box come with everything?

6. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

They can be purchased with everything you need or bare. Installing a hard drive is an easy task. The external LaCie drives are plug and play usb or firewire, unless you wish to reformat.

7. iEric thread starter macrumors 6502a

What brand would i want to buy if i wanted everything included(all the cords and other stuff needed), and i can just install it and the mac would just know it...this is talking an internal hd..

8. bluetrepidation macrumors member

Goto www.storagereview.com and look at the Hitachi line. Currently the fastest desktop drive. I got one. And I love it. All you need is ATA.

A.J.

9. bluetrepidation macrumors member

Oh and you shouldn't need any cables. Your second drive just sits ontop of your stock drive in the case. Everything is there. Pop it open and look. Your not going to break anything. Your Apple manuel tells you step by step. Crack that open. Oh and www.pricewatch.com for best prices and Hitachi or any drive you want.

A.J.

10. iEric thread starter macrumors 6502a

Another question..is the connection I want ATA or IDE? (Dual MDD 1Ghz computer)

11. dudeami macrumors regular

They are both kindof refering to the same thing. The builtiin IDE port on the MDD G4 supports Ultra ATA 100. So if you buy a 133 it will only run at 100. It would probably be cheaper to get an Ultra ATA 100 drive, unless you plan on buying an Ultra ATA 133 adapter later. Either way unless you are going to set up a RAID I don't beleive a single drive can ever match the 100 MB throughput of the controller anyway, so I would probably stick with 100. You want to make sure that you are buying a parallel ATA and not a serial ATA, the mother board on the MDD supports parallel.

12. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

G4 MDD is IDE i think.

[edit: ugh, sleep reading... ATA and IDE are the same, misread it as SATA or IDE]

13. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

IDE and ATA are the same...

IDE is the bustype, and the kind of ATA used means if its an 33/66/100/133mhz speed

SCSI and SATA are different from this... because they use other connectors, SATA is standard on G5, and SCSI is an option in all of them, and there are different types of SCSI with different type of connectors...

so just buy any type of 100/133 IDE ATA drive and it will fit in your G4

as mentioned, no cables required because they're allready built-in

maybe some screws, but I think you get those with the drive...

and then setup and format the drive with the drive utility in MacOS and let it run ;-)

o and internal drives are fatser tha external

I have an 20GB 4200rmp drive inside my TiBook, and an external 80GB 7200rpm FireWire by LaCie, the internal drive is faster... I just was considering building an 60GB 7200rmp notebook drive in there for faster performance...

14. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Rofl, i read it as SATA, god i need to go home :( neeeed sleeeep