Additional monitor on iMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ajp, Nov 4, 2004.

1. ajp macrumors member

I'm trying to connect a widescreen 17" LCD TV/Monitor display to my 17" G4 iMac to use as a remote monitor (ie not screen spanning) mainly for DVD and movies. I've bought the Apple mini VGA Adaptor as the monitor has a VGA input. When I plug this in (to the iMac) the iMac display shrinks into a small box in the centre of the screen. My iMac resolution is 1440 x 900. If I reduce the resolution the screen is filled again, but quality is obviously lower. Anyone know how I can maintain 1440 x 900 and fill the screen?

Thanks.

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

When mirroring, the lowest common resolution is chosen, so you are limited by the resolution of the 17" display. When you go to your displays preferences, make sure you choose the highest possible resolution for the remote screen.

Although I'm not sure of the concept here. You're mirroring your 17" iMac to show DVDs somewhere else? Like across the room or something? Why don't you just move the iMac, it's easy enough to do.

3. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Okay, quick question. (I didn't think it warranted an entire new thread)

Would using the Screen Spanning App on my eMac void my warranty? I have the cable, but I'd rather not nix 2 years of Applecare just to get a second display.

4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I don't know for sure but from what I have heard there is a restore function on the hack so apple can't tell that it was even there.

5. cube macrumors G4

If the machine stops working, you won't be able to restore before sending it for repair.

Good reason not to get AppleCare when buying an iMac/iBook.

I guess it's the same for DVD region-free firmware, so there's no point in getting AppleCare at all.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The dual screen hack is only a software hack, it won't void hardware warranty.

7. ajp thread starter macrumors member

EMW!

I think you've answered my question although it's not the one I wanted to hear. I was hoping my external monitor would equal the iMac resolution. Guess I'll just put up with it then!

Yeah, monitor's on the wall in another part of a kind of L shaped room. Idea is to keep the sticky mits of my 18 month old away from the computer whilst she watches DVDs. Also thought the LCD would look good running iPhoto screensaver stuff whilst not being a TV.

Thanks anyway.

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

You could also use the screen-spanning hack and simply show the DVD in the extended screen and continue to work on the regular desktop. This would resolve the resolution conflict issue, although it wouldn't improve the resolution on the remote LCD.

9. ajp thread starter macrumors member

A cunning plan. I'll give it a go! Just need to get a longer vga cable extension as it doesn't reach at the moment.

Thanks again for your help