Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Or a 5th gen iPod touch (released in 2012)

1222-1429-thickbox.jpg
Awesome! I knew i had seen that design somewhere else. Nice to see them trying something different.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I'll buy a new 5S when the price drops. I see no need for a bigger phone. I use mine for phone calls and occasional browsing. I have an IPad for movies and web browsing. I don't sit and stare at a phone, there are better things to do.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
Do you have a 5th gen iPod touch? I'd be curious to know from someone who does if the devic wobbles when on a flat surface. I'd ask the same question of someone who owns a Galaxy S5 as that has a protruding camera as well.

No it doesn't wobble at all, except for a barely discernible amount if pressed at the top left. I've got one, and if you employ a little common sense analysis to the physical properties of the device and the principles of leverage and pivot points, you'd soon draw that conclusion too. You see, if you take into consideration the fact that the lens protrusion is right up on the top corner of the device, and is the pivot point as it's sticking out proud of the body, you'll then see that for the iPod to "wobble" would require a mass equal to the rest of the body which is BELOW the protruding ring, in order to effect an equilibrium (or near) in mass across the pivot point, ergo a seesaw effect which would cause the wobble you speak of.

Since the mass of the entire area below the camera (ie: 95% of the mass) is working against, and a lot heavier than the miniscule amount ABOVE the camera, this "wobbling" is imaginary, and would require considerable concerted downward pressure - in precisely the right place - to be observed.

There is only a TINY rocking of the device when you apply pressure to the top-left of the iPod, and that's only a degree or so, and doesn't affect usage of the device nor does it impair the experience. If you have any sense, you'd buy a TPU case which would eliminate this altogether, by countersinking the lens - in effect.

Last edited:

stulowe2009

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2009
The camera lens will be criticized right up until its branded as some 'magic cornea' lens and then it will be defended passionately by all.

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
Dear Apple, please fill those seams with same-color-as-shell liquid metal.

Thanks you

Where did this notion that Liquidmetal is radio transparent come from? I cannot find any credible source that states this for Liquidmetal, or any amorphous alloy for that matter. There is no point to even having the break if you are going to just bridge it electrically with the rest of the body.

----------

Liquidmetal is still conductive so the bands must be something else.
A Liquidmetal band would be the same as no band at all.
Why bother?

Finally some sanity!

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
iFugly 6

Maybe it just doesn't photograph well, but those silver bands make it look fugly.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I can see a market opening up right now.

Sticky back, and decorative "Anti-iWobble" pads for your iPhone 6

Just stick this pad on the opposite corner to the camera to fix your iPhone wobble.
Available in a range of funky colors and metallic finishes,

Silver, Gold, Black, White. Also Swarovski crystal versions available.

Only $10 each or a pack of three for $20.

"Cure that iWobble - Buy one today"

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Looking at the current leak, we can see a notch in the aluminum back that appears to be filled with plastic or something but I don't see how that could be the antenna bands as the cutout doesn't go all the way through so you still have aluminum underneath. Where does the signal pass through? With the iPhone 5/5s there was a cutout for the back.

sd_iphone6_rear_shell_silver-800x532.jpg

iphone_5s_gold_trifecta_634x306x24_expand_h123d4e83.jpg

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
Won't be plastic, definitely not. I agree with the above poster, it will be liquid metal and as seamless as they can get it. It won't look like the mock ups in Sept.

Liquidmetal is conductive just like regular metal. It makes no sense to even have a gap if you are going to just fill it in with Liquidmetal.

latts

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2008
Prototype

Sonny Dickson (@SonnyDickson) says:
August 12, 2014 at 3:35 am
This iPhone 6 Back Housing is a Prototype its not the Final part that will ship, but its 100% real.

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
Looking at the current leak, we can see a notch in the aluminum back that appears to be filled with plastic or something but I don't see how that could be the antenna bands as the cutout doesn't go all the way through so you still have aluminum underneath. Where does the signal pass through? With the iPhone 5/5s there was a cutout for the back.

The antennas a still electrically isolated like they are in the 5, this time they just have a metal across the back portion instead of the more radio transparent glass. Apparently Apple found a way to make the antennas perform well radiating only from the edges and the front of the phone.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
No it doesn't wobble at all, except for a barely discernible amount if pressed at the top left. I've got one, and if you employ a little common sense analysis to the physical properties of the device and the principles of leverage and pivot points, you'd soon draw that conclusion too. You see, if you take into consideration the fact that the lens protrusion is right up on the top corner of the device, and is the pivot point as it's sticking out proud of the body, you'll then see that for the iPod to "wobble" would require a mass equal to the rest of the body which is BELOW the protruding ring, in order to effect an equilibrium (or near) in mass across the pivot point, ergo a seesaw effect which would cause the wobble you speak of.

Since the mass of the entire area below the camera (ie: 95% of the mass) is working against, and a lot heavier than the miniscule amount ABOVE the camera, this "wobbling" is imaginary, and would require considerable concerted downward pressure - in precisely the right place - to be observed.

There is only a TINY rocking of the device when you apply pressure to the top-left of the iPod, and that's only a degree or so, and doesn't affect usage of the device nor does it impair the experience. If you have any sense, you'd buy a TPU case which would eliminate this altogether, by countersinking the lens - in effect.

I'm not questioning your experience, but I think your physics is wrong. It sounds like you're saying the only area of the phone on the unsupported side of the fulcrum is the very top edge of the phone, when in fact it also include a wedge shaped section of the phone running down to the opposite corner, looks like around 30% I'd say, as a very rough estimate.

Also, you say "for the iPod to "wobble" would require a mass equal to the rest of the body which is BELOW the protruding ring" - you're neglecting to consider distance from the fulcrum.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
The camera lens will be criticized right up until its branded as some 'magic cornea' lens and then it will be defended passionately by all.

I'll go on record before the release and say everybody is heavily overreacting to it. Is it AS pretty as sitting flush? No. Is it really any type of big deal? Not at all.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Personally, I could live with the camera protrusion, I just don't see the point - I'd prefer a thicker phone. It's the bands that bother me. Maybe it'll look lovely in the flesh like with the iPhone 4, but I doubt it. Buuuuut, I doubted that too, so what do I know.

I'm not getting one anyway, the iPhone 5 size was already too big :(

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Yikes!
I would hate my iPhone band to be peeling off like that. Not only does it look terrible, but a new attenagate may be brewing if that is representative of the wear and tear we can look forward to. And it is just not the most elegant of iPhone.

There could be a backlash at how low end and gaudy this iPhone looks compared to even the plastic 3gs.

Last edited:

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
You guys are freaking out over a slightly protruded camera lens? Really?

Amazing isn't it? I care about what is on the screen,the OS and apps. Anything else is minor. And if the camera is hugely improved I'll accept some protrusion. I do agree that making it flush and increasing the battery would be great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.