Additional RAM - 12" PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Stirman, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Stirman macrumors newbie

Jul 20, 2005
    The current 12" PB's come with 256 built in, and either 256, 512, or 1GB added, a minimum of 512 installed.

I want to order one with the max, 1.25GB, installed...but would rather order the additional RAM from crucial to save some money. I'm not clear on what I need to order.

How many expansion slots does the 12" PB have. I assume the default minimum setup takes up 2 slots, for 512, which means I would need one stick of 756 to get to the max, but is there room for one more stick, or am I going to have to remover one of the default 256 sticks and buy a 1GB stick to replace it with?

Hope my question makes sense...thanks!

2. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    This can all be answered from Apple's website.

12" PB has 1 slot. It comes with 256MB in it. You can put up to a 1GB stick in it. (256MB is built onto the motherboard).

The 15" and 17" PBs have to slots for memory.
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    The 'book has one socket only, there is 256 soldered-on and a 256 SODIMM in the socket as stock -- so you will have to remove the 256 SODIMM to install the 1 Gb.

If you are going to Crucial, use their RAM configurator tool to choose the correct RAM for your machine.

If you are in the USA, I recommend looking at Data Memory Systems as an alternative to Crucial

4. Stirman thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 20, 2005

Thanks, sorry, didn't really understand the apple site...appreciate the clarification.