Additional Troop Increase Approved

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Mar 11, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wash post

shocker.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

So when is the draft coming, or where are we getting these soldiers from?

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

4. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Good question. If I were to hazard a guess, I would says the troops are on shorter rotations out of country. They could also be moving troops from Korea, Germany and the Balkans.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its another Vietnam anyway you look at it, people have to want change themself you cant force it on them and my experience is that most people push back to change. Islam has a built in barrier to change and its religion. It doesnt allow tolerance nor change. Its almost like communism but instead of the state doing the brainwashing the church is doing it. Bush & Cheney seem oblivious to this.

6. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

See, now you guys are missing the silver lining in all this. Now there's no excuse for healthy 18 year olds to be unemployed or work minimum wage jobs! Might even learn something more useful than how to keep their pants precariously hitched up over their butts in the process.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah, cannon fodder looks really good on gravestone, doesn't it!

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My god, you're right. I did miss that. It must take a conservative to find that particular silver lining...

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Have you forgotten they're paid with tax dollars? ;)

10. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

According to Salon this morning, they're sending over troops previously declared medically unfit for duty.

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hardly surprising .. the offices around here which are responsible for inspecting potential conscripts are doing it the same way: were the years stronger in birth rates declare more unfit and were there less births don't be so picky
    during my turn (150 or so) there were 5 unfit of which 3 were mentally handicapped or so while 5 years earlier up to 30% were unfit

during my service we had new recruts that had to get extra sheets and rooms because they had allergies

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Like learning how to kill someone?

13. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

How about not wanting to die in a war we've already lost that most of us don't even know why we're fighting? That's a pretty good excuse. Plus, how are we going to pay for them? We can't take care of the ones we've got.

15. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

and now there's even more:

[​IMG]

16. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I think that we cloned them like in the movie 300. Some secret program to manufacture them.

17. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Why can't we use tax dollars to buy more apples for schools?

18. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

We lost? News to me. Post a link showing the terms of our surrender when you get a chance.

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

We've lost the war on terror, we've lost in terms of public opinion, we've lost in terms of technological overkill. Terms of surrender belong to past wars and past centuries.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Losing does not require a surrender. Did you surrender to Ho Chi Minh?

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

As soon as you show me one showing Clinton lost in Somalia! :D

22. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'm surprised you even bring up Clinton, or describe it as "Clinton lost in Somalia". Which I don't know anyone who blames Clinton for that mess. But many think that this was the turning point in that conflict:

link

I think one turning point in the Iraq war was when the Sunni insurgents blew up Iraq’s most sacred Shiite shrines (the golden mosque). Since then, a religious/civil war has erupted. However one glimmer of light was when Al-Sadr fled to Iran or wherever he is after a shift in policy of the Maliki government.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Trust me, it's a common sentiment on the right. If you don't believe me, just perform a quick search of the forum here using the terms "Clinton and Somalia".
    Umm.. in case you hadn't noticed, there was a civil war going on prior to that event. The mosque bombing only exacerbated the problem.

Funny thing too is that at the time Bush was praising the lack of violent reaction to the mosque bombing as a sign of how well things were going in Iraq. But of course now the story has changed to "the boming of the golden mosque was the start of the civil war". Quite a nice bit of revisionist history, if you ask me.

Nevertheless, you still manage to ignore my rhetorical point...

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Of course you're right, al-Qaeda in Iraq was inciting sectarian violence almost since the invasion. But to me it seemed like that event was the straw that broke the camels back or like you said 'exacerbated'.
    Who's revising? When is your guestimate on the start of the civil war?

Well yeah! :rolleyes: :D

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Bush blasts Democratic proposals for war spending bill

CNN

This is one time I don't begrudge Congress the addition of "pork-barrel" add-ons. They are in there, of course, to entice reluctant Democrats and moderate Republicans to vote for this bill, and the overall goal of that bill -- defining an end to the war -- is after all the most important thing here.

Will Bush veto the bill? Of course. Can he sustain a veto? Very probably. But this is a no-lose situation for Democrats. If Bush does veto this, he and his supporters will have to answer to the voters in 2008, and it's gonna be another GOP bloodbath just like 2006. So when Bush threatens to veto, I suggest Congress borrow a line from Disney and reply, "Be our guest, be our guest! Put our service to the test!"

Of course, there is one group of people that stands to lose if Bush vetoes this bill -- our troops, who will continue dying with no foreseeable end in sight.