Additions Anyone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CoMpX, May 12, 2006.

1. CoMpX macrumors 65816

Jun 29, 2005
    New Jersey
    Hey, everybody. we are doing an addition on my house and I'm looking for some advice. We are all going to have to squeeze into the bedrooms that will remain untouched by the construction.

It's going to be a new kitchen and greatroom, and we are going over the top with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Some new foundations will have to be dug for the kitchen and greatroom.

We will have no air conditioning for most of the summer.

My Questions Are:
    How long will this take approximately from start to finish? Over a year? Less?

Any tips to make the experience more painless?

Personal experiences?

Thanks for any input!
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

Really hard to say without knowing exactly what you're doing and how your house is currently set up. However, it will always take longer than the builders say. I find that 50-70% longer is probably pretty accurate, but it might be different here in Australia because we're all pretty lazy.

If possible, get the kitchen done first. I say this because the kitchen is what you'll be wanting to be operational the most and the first jobs tend to get done a little quicker. There's nothing worse than roughing it on a half-made house with no kitchen. You can sleep and live in squalor relatively easily, but you wanna be able to prepare food with dignity. :cool:

Well, good luck. Don't let the builder's mess you around and hopefully only a minimal amount will go wrong. Sorry for sounding so negative but to be honest, it's not a terribly easy thing to do. Best of luck with it. :)
  3. CoMpX thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 29, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks mad jew. We were planning on doing the kitchen first, one because of the reson you give, and two because we want to go all out with the kitchen and then whatever money is left we will do the bedrooms with later. Nobody gos in the bedrooms anyway.
  4. MultiM macrumors 6502

May 9, 2006
    TO. I've moved!
    My best suggestion, having done something similar, is put as much unncessary stuff in storage as you can. If it's there, you WILL trip over it. Constantly. Kitchen first. Good Luck and have fun...
  5. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    I'm jealous. I want an addition soooo badly. Good luck and be sure to post what you've learned by the end of the process!
  6. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Take whatever time and $$ estimate the contractor gives you and ask if you're still willing to do the work at 1.5 - 2x each of those numbers.

Make sure you set up a pay system that includes a minimum 10% retainage so they don't skip out on you at the end.

And save money for your cabinets and counters.
  7. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    My bad, when I first saw this thread I thought it said "Addictions" instead. :eek:
  8. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    haha :D me too! You should start one of those threads...
  9. iBlue macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    Your renovation will have alll sorts of unexpected "surprises" and will always take longer and cost more than anticipated.

Good advice and wisdom already shared within this thread, I won't reiterate.

Good luck. :)
  10. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Remodeling the kitchen and greatroom, and you're adding 3 bedrooms and 2 baths? It might be a lot less painless to just buy a new house.

Be sure to shop around and get more than one estimate. Look into contacting other clients of said contractor(s) and see how satisfied they are with their work.

Stick to your plan unless you can tell it's not working. My parents' house would have been finished a lot faster if Pop hadn't had a new whim each week. But yes, it'll take a good bit longer than they say it will, even if you're just taking weather into consideration.
  11. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Along with everything else mentioned, be sure to have plans in place to isolate parts of the home not being worked on from dust (and, if possible, noise).

Ask about how they plan to leave the house exposed to the elements for the least amount of time - you don't want big gaping holes in your exterior any longer than necessary - for security reasons as well.

Monitor their work at least occasionally, or be sure you can trust the general contractor to do so. You don't want to make it seem that you don't trust the workers... just don't trust them until they earn it.

Don't go all out with the kitchen until it's relatively isolated form the rest of the construction or else it'll get all dirty. Also, don't go so all out that you can't afford to finish the rest of it. A great kitchen isn't so great when the upstairs has no roof. ;)
  12. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Mar 4, 2004
    A word to the wise...don't put any important papers or items in storage because you assume the project won't take more that 3 months. I packed up my home office for a planned 3 months and it will be a year come July!!
    I still have no blank checks and I had to take apart the storage unit to find my tax records!

Also, bring a microwave for cooking in the bedroom. And, you'll probably end up washing dishes in the bathtub! My inlaws redid their kitchen, and ended up doing the living room and dining room too! Make sure your paperwork is set, they almost had to rip out a window in the kitchen because it jutted 6 inches into the driveway, and the driveway is adjacent to a neighbor's house. The only thing that saved them was that the adjacent house was also a business.

And it will take longer than expected!
  13. CoMpX thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 29, 2005
    New Jersey
    Wow, thanks to everyone for all of your ideas and we will definitely take those into consideration.

We have already planned out isolation, for example no workers will be allowed to walk through the existing part of the house. We are making them build a temporary staircase on the outside of the house to get to the top floor.

We planned to get the house frames, roofed, sided and get the windows installed, then we will work on the interior so there will be full protection against weather and robbers.

The new kitchen will be in a different location in the house than the old one, so we will be able to keep the old one until the new one is finished. That will be a big plus. I will be sure to keep you guys posted as to what is going on.

Today we finished cleaning out the attics and the backyard shed that will have to be demolished.