Address Book alternatives

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nesbitt_a, Mar 21, 2005.

1. nesbitt_a macrumors 6502

Guys,
    Anyone know of any good address book alternatives? I really like the way adium can replace ichat, and looking for same for AD.

A

2. Bear macrumors G3

I've been using AddressBook and have not had any real issues with it except for some printing releated ones (which I reported to Apple).

What issues are you having with AddressBook so people will have an idea of where AddressBook doesn't meet your needs so the suggestions you get will be more meaningful.

I also suggest you use the feedback mechanism Apple provides on their website to suggest enhancements.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The problem with a wholesale Address Book replacement is that the Address Book application provides a lot of system functionality to other apps (Mail and iChat spring to mind). Address Book provides an API which lets application developers access and update the data in the Address Book from their own apps. Any third party app would have to somehow replace this API as well.

4. nesbitt_a thread starter macrumors 6502

I really* hate the way they've implemented creating new contacts. Very tedious an annoying.

Andrew

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It would be possible to create a new front-end to this that used the Address Book API to update the system address book. Exactly how would you like to create new contacts?

6. nesbitt_a thread starter macrumors 6502

I've no idea! hehe.
    Was just wondering if anyone had any alternatives that I could try out.

7. Bear macrumors G3

I'm not sure you'll find much of anything better for this. I've definitely seen worse in other software. I've also seen different that was in my opinion about the same effort to add a new card.

8. nesbitt_a thread starter macrumors 6502

.. In what apps?

9. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I like Entourage. It combines contacts, calendar, notes, etc. Plus I have a Sony Clie running Palm OS that syncs wonderfully.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

For my needs the Address Book met my needs overall. And the integration to other apps overcame the shortcomings.