Address Book annoyance...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ohcrap, Sep 4, 2005.

1. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

My problem is with the name of an Address Book entry, for example's sake, we'll call her Jane Doe. :D

Originally, I input the name Jane Doe into my Address Book and linked it to a screen name on my iChat buddy list so that the name Jane Doe would appear in my list as opposed to her screen name. Then I decided that I didn't want it to say her full name, just Jane.

So, I removed the last name so that the entry just said Jane Last and saved, then closed Address Book. Minutes later, Jane signs on, "Jane" is displayed in my buddy list, and we start talking. I have it set so the person's name or screen name is displayed in the IM window, next to a speech bubble with their messages. About 15min into the conversation, I notice in the IM window that "Jane" becomes "Jane Doe" out of the blue. WHY!!??

I've Spotlight-searched her full name, and even just her first name, and nothing but a few conversations and her Address Book entry come up. Where is her last name being stored when I remove it from Address Book? Is there something I'm not doing? I am saving Address Book after making changes... :confused:

Thanks in advance!

2. ohcrap thread starter macrumors 6502a

BTW, I've tried removing the entire entry and redoing it with JUST the first name right off the bat. Same thing happens..

3. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

I have the same thing but it happens with Mail. Names get all screwed up even after I change them. Plus you would think if you add someone's screenname in Address Book that you wouldn't then have to add it again in iChat by opening the A.B. panel and choosing them. A little repetitious wouldn't you say?

4. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I'm not sure about iChat - but in other IM programs the user themselves can change their own alias / name / nicks and photos...

so have you asked "Jane Doe" what she has entered her end?
    For example my friends will change photos occasionally - but I have one mate who regularly changes his display alias... is quite amusing now - although initially I had to check the email address to see who it actually was!!!

5. ohcrap thread starter macrumors 6502a

She has AOL. *struggles to keep from bursting out in laughter*

She has a PC with AOL and AIM installed.. :rolleyes:

6. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

So has she entered herself in as "Jane Doe"?
    Some programs have User override - where the actual person can change their own names / nicks / aliases - which might be what you are seeing.

For example - my mate - as mentioned above - changed his Alias / Nick / Name to "I am the music man" - so thats what I see in Adium when he is online. I have to hold the cursor over his nick to see the email address (which is how I worked out it was him).

7. ohcrap thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope. :(