Address Book / Exchange Integration

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chalkstorm, Mar 24, 2005.

1. chalkstorm macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am thinking of changing over to macs for our office desktops, would be about 20 or so machines, not a lot but I am having trouble with a few issues that at the moment are holding me back from the big move.

One is sorting out a shared contacts book / address book. At the moment we are running an exchange server that holds all the contacts details in Active Directory, I can hook up the mac to this and Apps like Mail can be configured to search this list for addresses. Thats ok but not ideal, I'd like to be able to see a complete list of addresses from the exchange server, and not have to enter in an initial search string first. Also and this is the big issue for me, is that we use a lot of groups with email, these are set up in the form of Distrobution Groups in Active Directory. At the moment I can't access these at all from the Mac, it seems that they are just searched at all let alone being listed for the users.

So the questions is, how can I access these groups from the Mac, and it is possible to have these and the contacts from AD listed as per the local contacts in the Mac Address book program.

I have heard that the next revion of Address book to be included with Tiger will include sharing, if so this could solve the problem as we could use that, but it'd be nice to be able to use the existing Active Directory lists plus some of my users need the Outlook Web Access so we would need to maintain a duel address list or ditch exchange and use another mail app and webmail app, blah blah, more work for me..

I'd also be interested to hear from any other network admins that have had to integrate Macs into a windows domain and any of the problems that they came up against.

Many thanks

Dan

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Have you tried using Address Book's built-in Exchange synchronization feature?

3. chalkstorm thread starter macrumors newbie

I have, only syncs the users own contact list not the contacts held in the windwos servers Active Directory which is where all our shared contacs are.