Address Book / SMS BT question :-)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mattroberts, Jul 30, 2004.

1. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

I've been doing a bunch of searching for info on how to use SMS and my T616 - all to no avail.

I can use SMS with the T616 while i keep Address book open and make sure the Bluetooth symbol is lit up.

But I find it a pain to keep the address book open - I'm wondering if there is anyway to keep it all humming along without address book being left open?

cheers
    m

2. Zaty macrumors 65816

First of all, out of curiosity, what is the T616? Is it a North American version of the (Sony Ericsson) T610 (which I own)?

In relation to your question, address book must be running in order to use its BT capability. I agree it would be nice if Apple could change it.

3. brap macrumors 68000

The T616 is the replacement. It looks way cooler, which is annoying, because I got a T610 just before it came out.
    Yeah, I found that just recently. It's pretty much useless having the sync icon on your menu bar if it doesn't sync the bloody address book as well as iCal.

4. mattroberts thread starter macrumors regular

mattroberts

The T616 is the same as the t610. Just different frequencies. I think your thinking of the the t636. There is no (physical) difference between the t610/6. that said the t636 was announced the same week i got my t616 which was particularly annoying.

too bad that the SMS feature is address book dependent.

cheers
    m

5. ScotRobson macrumors 6502

Sorry guys, can I ask what the sms feature is? I have a T610 too. Have you seen the T630 I'm not sure if its the latest but It looks cool.

Scot

6. ScotRobson macrumors 6502

Ok Ive just read in Address Book help what it is - sounds cool but what would be the benefit of using address book instead of your phone?

Also I notice in help it tells you Address book has to be open to send/recieve sms and to recieve incomming calls. ;)

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I have used it - accidentally the first time.

I'd paired my SE phone with the PB to synch Address Book/iCal and then stuck it back in my bag (forgetting to turn off Bluetooth like usual). It was on silent and I got such a shock when a message arrived and it appeared up on my Mac!

Now I do it quite often - stops me leaving the phone somewhere around the house and forgetting to pick it up the next day.

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you should search the forums, the answer was put it something to startup when you login that would start address book and bluetooth feature. i don't remember what it was though, but yeah it in the forums ;)

9. mattroberts thread starter macrumors regular

mattroberts

I assume your talking about placing address book in startup items - i've already done that. I've also placed it as hidden & since i have yet to do restart i'm not sure if that will affect the BT feature.

I'm hoping though that one day apple will place this feature independent of address-book or possibly in mail where it would keep track of my emails and SMS's- its pretty darn useless in address book and its log feature could use work (imho) but i'll still enjoy it until that happens

thanks for the advice.

m

10. kelvinz macrumors member

I agree 100% they should make this feature intergrated outside of Addressbook.

Also they should make some way for you to keep a copy of the sms you send and recieve.

One thing I wonder is what happens to an sms that fails while sending? Does it tell you?

11. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    well you can save the sms u receive by 'logging call' and it adds it to the notes section

but i second a better system of saving messaged

no it does not tell you if your message sending has failed :(