Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
It's been a long time coming, but after being in beta for quite some time, Adium 0.8 is finally here!

If you haven't tried it before I urge you to give it a go now. If what you want from a chat app is to text chat between all networks, this is it.

http://www.adiumx.com

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
edesignuk said:
It's been a long time coming, but after being in beta for quite some time, Adium 0.8 is finally here!

If you haven't tried it before I urge you to give it a go now. If what you want from a chat app is to text chat between all networks, this is it.

None of these support Video right? I remember using Fire on 10.2, im not even sure if thats around anymore but the main reason i switched back to using the real clients (yahoo and ichat) was that i lost the ability to use video.

On another tangent, yahoo has totally screwed mac users over and we have maybe 1/3 the feature set that they give the PC releases, hell i think its been nearly a year since we have even seen a YM upgrade? Atleast they give us video? :(

Ed

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Ed H: that's correct, none of the third-party clients (besides iChat) have video. The gaim team (gaim is the linux app whose core powers Adium and Fire) is working on a separate gaim-vv (gaim-voice/video) project; as that progresses, we should eventually start seeing some video capabilities in Adium and Fire.

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
edesignuk said:

Wow, looks like a really great upgrade. I am downloading it right now. Thanks!

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
File transfer still sucks.

Everything else is dandy, I love my buddy list integrated into the desktop! :rolleyes:

picture17ki.jpg

gamestriker

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2004
Yes, its a nice update. I use Adium for the "standard" protocols (AIM, MSN, Yahoo!) and I use iChat for my .Mac. I haven't had any problems yet with it (I'm a heavy IM user).

Now that gaim-vv sounds really interesting. If they can get video/voice support as good as iChat, I will definitely get it.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
I love Adium, it works so well. My biggest complaint about it was that it didn't do file transfers forcing me to find other means to transfer files. This is great!

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
Finally I can be invisible! Nothing like being connected but still not having to talk to anyone. :D

On a bummer note, every since I installed tiger, all the plaintext message styles (textonly, nofruit, justtext, uberblacktextonly) don't work. I was hoping the new version might magically fix it, but no love. Tul works but not my favorite.

EDIT: looks like this is partly due to me turning on case sensitivity when I installed Tiger.

Edit: Pisser #2, why not let me turn off sounds completely with a simple switch rather than having to edit every event?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I've been using the .8 Betas for a long time now and they're great. I still think iChat is better, but until iChat supports MSN, I won't use it.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
panphage said:
Edit: Pisser #2, why not let me turn off sounds completely with a simple switch rather than having to edit every event?

why not just create a new preset and just delete the notifications and there you go...

nightdweller25

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2005
yg17 said:
I've been using the .8 Betas for a long time now and they're great. I still think iChat is better, but until iChat supports MSN, I won't use it.

Same here, especially since Microsoft sux and really cripples msn messenger for mac, we're barely getting display pictures in msn messenger 5!

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Two things...

1. Anyone notice the dock icon no longer holds up an "away sign?"

2. How the heck do you delete a custom away message?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
FredAkbar said:
Ed H: that's correct, none of the third-party clients (besides iChat) have video. The gaim team (gaim is the linux app whose core powers Adium and Fire) is working on a separate gaim-vv (gaim-voice/video) project; as that progresses, we should eventually start seeing some video capabilities in Adium and Fire.

well Mecury has limited video. I think it will have full video within a year.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
ZildjianKX said:
Two things...

1. Anyone notice the dock icon no longer holds up an "away sign?"

2. How the heck do you delete a custom away message?

1. hadnt noticed it yet
2. under prefs go to status, highlight the one you do not want and hit the minus button

my question is how do you get rid of message styles that you no longer want?

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
for whatever reason, I'll go to add a contact and it'll tell me that I have too many contacts. But i don't have that many, and i'm sure that many people have a lot more than I do.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
dav said:
File transfer still sucks.

Everything else is dandy, I love my buddy list integrated into the desktop!

did you just turn the opacity way down, or is there a pref i'm missing?

also, yay for finally making it past .77 -- it's about time!

rccola70

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2004
California
PlaceofDis said:
1. hadnt noticed it yet
2. under prefs go to status, highlight the one you do not want and hit the minus button

Go to:

~/Library/Application Support/Adium 2.0/Message Styles

find the one you don't want and send to trash

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
yeah, Adium rocks. 0.8 seems to be snappier too ;) on Panther anyway, I havent got Tiger yet

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
baby duck monge said:
did you just turn the opacity way down, or is there a pref i'm missing?

also, yay for finally making it past .77 -- it's about time!

Edit

~/Library/Application Support/Adium 2.0/Users/Default/Appearance.plist

Change the opacity setting to .0000009 or whatever!

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
PlaceofDis said:
1. hadnt noticed it yet

Thanks man.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.