Adium and AIM and iChat...oh my

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Vash, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Vash macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2005
    Wilkes-Barre PA
    Okay. So I love Adium. The dock icons are great and the mac integration is seemingly flawless to me. Completely customizable, doesn't freeze or lock-up, and it's backed by virtually every Mac user who used AIM.

There is one thing that I can't stand. Direct connect. Any time, be it DC or directly sending the file to the user (via sending, accepting, downloading in a seperate window, etc), my PC friends (which basically accounts for 99% of them) will say "It's not connecting", "What file transfer?", "SEND IT ALREADY!"
    as it's sending on my computer. I've searched for solutions and understand this seems to be a problem throughout the Adium community. It's the lack of development that causes it not only to be fickle, but sometimes refuse to work.

I want to keep Adium, but I need a way to directly send these files. I always exchange(d) pictures here and there almost daily. It's just such a hassle to e-mail them everytime I wanna share. I suppose my question is :

What does everyone do about this problem? Use AIM for Mac? (<---I heard it's not only unreliable, but crashes often). iChat? Some weird plug-in I don't know about? Please...somebody...give me a hint. :D

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    I have FTP turned on on my computer and have a few web servers. So I use that method so my friends can download when it is convenient for them.

and the problem isn't just Adium, i think... someone said it was a libgaim problem.
  3. killmoms macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Yeah, it's a libgaim problem, but no, no one at Adium seems to care much anyway. They don't see direct connect or file transfer as a particularly important priority. I just launch iChat when I need to send or receive something. It's inconvenient, but it's the best option we've got at the moment.