Adium Beta

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by M@lew, Jan 15, 2007.

1. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I have the non-beta version of Adium but people are always reccomending the latest beta. What differences are there between the 2? Is it worth upgrading?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, the beta is not recommended for general consumption, and it is more likely to crash, act unstably, etc. It is, however, relatively close to being done.

It has some fairly significant little changes. They've done a much nicer job with the interface for setting away / present status. The chat window is refreshed and it has some really nice interface improvements. File / image transfer has been improved. MSN custom emoticons are now supported. Give it a try if you want. But make sure that you make a zip of the ~/library/application support/adium 2.0/ folder, just in case. :)

3. M@lew thread starter macrumors 68000

M@lew

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

A big problem I had with the Beta is the memory consumption! It takes up so much memory that it is just not worth running it. I say just wait for the release.

5. M@lew thread starter macrumors 68000

M@lew

If I downgrade (e.g. put the non-beta version over the beta one in applications) if I don't like it, would it work just like normal? Or would the preference's be different?

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Everything will be A-OK if you downgrade. Just trash the Beta and start-up the original Adium, nothing will be changed.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I haven't monitored the memory consumption closely, but it does look like it was using about 80/300 (real/virtual) on my iMac G5 with 1.5 gigs and 60/220 on my iBook. Eh. Not that I wouldn't mind seeing reduced resource consumption when the scaffolding is pulled for the final release. :D