Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
okay so i was reading a thread on here about the Finder using 100% cpu and i figured i'd check up on my apps. Everything looks normal other than Adium, which seems to use on average 20-30% of my CPU! I'm running Safari, Mail, iTunes alongside it, and none of them tops 20%! (Safari hits about 17% at most, average is 8%). Does anyone else notice Adium hogging CPU disproportionately? It's not a major issue, just curious if other's notice Adium being a resource drain? Obviously it's nothing serious, but if i were rendering in Maya, I definitely wouldn't want to be running Adium at the same time!

NP3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Los Angeles
Humm...i've never noticed it using THAT much. The main reason i use adium over AOL instant messenger is that it uses way less cpu time. On my 400mhz G4 it uses about 1% of the cpu when i'm not doing anything with it.

I've never had problems with adium hogging resources....check to make sure you have the latest build (v0.61). I usually have it running while i play games & render etc.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
I haven't had that problem, but with Adium, there seem to be a few people that have weird problems with it. Just make sure you're up to date, or mention it in the Adium forums.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
ya it's the latest version, i did the usual permissions repairs, chron scripts, etc. but Adium hogs 20-30% cpu even when idle (i.e. in background, no chats, etc.). It still trounces iChat but bleh...i just thought it was funky. i'll talk with the developers as there is no reason it should use anywhere near that much CPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.