Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strangefate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
Does anyone use Facebook Chat with Adium that is having issues with it?

Adium is able to connect to Facebook Chat, but does not display the Buddy List for Facebook contacts as of yesterday. I'm sure it's just that Adium is not receiving Buddy List information properly as I enabled Offline Contacts in my Buddy List and was able to send an IM on Facebook to someone who is listed as offline.

I have reinstalled Adium and tried starting fresh with new user application data. Interestingly enough, when first setting up a Facebook account on a new copy/new set of user prefs, Facebook contacts will show up initially. However, it shows contacts that are actually not online and the contacts disappear after a minute or two and all go back to an offline state.

Is anyone else having this problem/ever had it?

dj2mc

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2010
Ottawa, ON [CAN]
Does anyone use Facebook Chat with Adium that is having issues with it?

Adium is able to connect to Facebook Chat, but does not display the Buddy List for Facebook contacts as of yesterday. I'm sure it's just that Adium is not receiving Buddy List information properly as I enabled Offline Contacts in my Buddy List and was able to send an IM on Facebook to someone who is listed as offline.

I have reinstalled Adium and tried starting fresh with new user application data. Interestingly enough, when first setting up a Facebook account on a new copy/new set of user prefs, Facebook contacts will show up initially. However, it shows contacts that are actually not online and the contacts disappear after a minute or two and all go back to an offline state.

Is anyone else having this problem/ever had it?

I am having the same problem- personally I don't like Adium. I use iChat for all my chats. If you use Jabber on iChat it will import your Facebook chat.
Works like a dream, and is better.

rsilvestre

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
I am having the same problem- personally I don't like Adium. I use iChat for all my chats. If you use Jabber on iChat it will import your Facebook chat.

What is wrong with you. He talk about adium and he don't want know what do you prefer. It's not a survey and you don't give any solution so. When you don't have something interessant to say, keep it for you and let true people find a reel solution to resolve this problem!

BODKAx3BEPb

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010
I was having the same problem, and figured out one solution. I believe this has something to do with facebook upgrading their chat system to something new, and Adium not updating their software in time. What you want to do is go to Adium>Preferences>Accounts>Remove your facebook account with the minus (-) button. Next press the plus (+) button and select Jabber from the dropdown menu. Your Jabber ID will be yourFacebookUsername@chat.facebook.com (if you have not setup a username go to Facebook>Account>Account Settings>Username). Your password will be the same password you use to login to Facebook normally. Click ok, and watch the magic happen. Let me know how that works out for ya!

PsyOpWarlord

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
What you want to do is go to Adium>Preferences>Accounts>Remove your facebook account with the minus (-) button. Next press the plus (+) button and select Jabber from the dropdown menu. Your Jabber ID will be yourFacebookUsername@chat.facebook.com (if you have not setup a username go to Facebook>Account>Account Settings>Username). Your password will be the same password you use to login to Facebook normally. Click ok, and watch the magic happen. Let me know how that works out for ya!
Thats how mine is set up also.

Facebook has all the instructions for iChat, Adium and Pidgen in their help section.
http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=16739

Here is a blog announcement when they started using the Jabber/XMPP protocol standard.
http://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/361

Starr0w

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
I had the same problem but this solution did not work. It can connect to Facebook through an extra server. I am connected but there are no contacts in my list. I did do it the way it was described for Jabber... any more ideas? :confused: :mad:

SteinMaster

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2009
USA
What is wrong with you. He talk about adium and he don't want know what do you prefer. It's not a survey and you don't give any solution so. When you don't have something interessant to say, keep it for you and let true people find a reel solution to resolve this problem!

Dude, why don't you relax a little.

SteinMaster

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2009
USA
I tried setting-up in iChat and Adium without success. I am getting a message that my user log-in and password are not recognized. I gave up. Any advice? I confirmed my username and password were correct many times.

BradMc

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2011
No Luck Here

I'm having the same problem as steinmaster.

I'm using jabber to connect to facebook via adium, and it repeatedly asks for my credentials. I tried iChat, and got the same result.

It worked fine with Adium using Jabber for many months, just like the instructions on facebook indicate, and it just started doing this about a week ago. There are others who mention the problem, but seems like very few.

BradMc

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2011
Fixed

Many thanks res-res! Simply changing the password to something else temporarily finally fixed it for me.

marcmeyer

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2008
Simple fix for adium facebook chat not working: delete&recreate fb account in adium

That is all it took for me. Go to preferences>Accounts, delete the facebook account in Adium, recreate it.

melonmac

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
Thank you!

It worked for me using jabber.:)
I had the same problem using facebook plugin with Adium.
Facebook chat plugin worked well in Pidgin (windows)... not sure if it works now or if it's having the same problems like Adium.

The only thing I don't like using jabber is that it divides all facebook contacts in groups if you have lists.

pigkkk2

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
For those of you saying that Jabber method doesn't work

I bet you guys didn't set your username. Go to the account-> username and set your username if you haven't done that. It may be different from your email address. So try again with the username@chat.facebook.com with Jabber in Adium. Be noticed that you cannot log in from adium to facebook if you have already have the facebook chat page opened online

greel85

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
I bet you guys didn't set your username. Go to the account-> username and set your username if you haven't done that. It may be different from your email address. So try again with the username@chat.facebook.com with Jabber in Adium. Be noticed that you cannot log in from adium to facebook if you have already have the facebook chat page opened online

thanks, I've tried everythnig to solve the problem I had on facebook chat with audium, including reinstalling adium, and it didn't work, but now I manage to connect :)

Mastix

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
None of your tips worked - Being asked to register account

Hey guys,

I have followed all the steps outlined in your posts above, but I am still not able to connect. None of you, and also the Facebook instructions, have talked about the registration step. Once I enter all the jabber information, there is a "Register new account" button right underneath the input field. Once I push it, it says "Registering" but nothing happens. What should I do?

iraebrasil

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
I don't like the jabber solution. It's working for me but not so well.

First, I had a Facebook account in adium, when I look the message logs, since accounts and usernames are not the same, the message log is not unified.

Groups of friends used to work. When I move a someone from one list to another it will do until I restart. In Facebook the person is not added to the list. I think it's an jabber limitation (not the protocol, but the specific implementation that facebook is using).

I hate this kind of thing. Instead of providing us with a choice between the tow methods they simply shut down the older one without notice. This is just wrong. They at least should have provided an stable jabber server before doing that.

funktofugue

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2015
dj2mc - Is the username the regular facebook username or something different when setting up jabber in ichat? Plz help ... thanx -funktofugue.net

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.