Adium for ibook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CaptainCaveMann, Oct 23, 2004.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Ok nobody answered my last question in the previous post so here it gos. What is adium for ibook?What about how aim has its own window and screen and look of the im box and msn has its own looking box and stuff like that and they each have their own features like expressions or u can view the persons profile. When you use the mac prog adium to view all of your buddies from any program doesnt it cancel out all of the features that come with each messsenger? This is confusing does anyone have a screen shot of what this looks like? :confused:

2. brap macrumors 68000

It's based upon Gaim, and generally has most of the features of all clients. No video messaging, though. Check it out here.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

You kind of have this weird misconception captain ... there aren't many applications fro the ibook ... and the sleep requirements for an ibook aren't much different than a regular mac ... Your computer is not different from the computers that run OSX ... most of these questions, like what is adium can be answered with a simple search fo the forums or google ....

4. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

half of that did not apply to me thanks though ;)

5. haiggy macrumors 65816

Adium X

Screenshots are available at: www.adiumx.com

Hope this helps

1) Adium is not only for the iBook
    2) Adium supports messaging for ICQ, MSN, AIM, Jabber, Yahoo!, .Mac, Gadu-Gadu, Lotus Sametime, Novell Groupwise, Rendezvous, Yahoo! Japan, Napster and Zephyr (I don't think you're gonna be using all of those :p)
    3) MSN, ICQ and AIM all look the same and are in one contact list in different groups if you choose them to be.
    4) You can customize basically anything on this program. Contact list colors/background, messages, sounds, emoticons, groups, away messages etc., etc. and you can download extras from the Adium X site aswell.
    5) You can see display pictures, send files but no voice messaging or webcams.
    6) It is not version 1 yet so there are still some bugs
    7) If I am using the correct term, it uses "Meta-contact info" to let you know when someone has closed the window, etc or when they are typing.

6. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Ok so to me it comes down to this, whats the point of using adium? Your missing out ont he features that come with each individual messenger

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

adium has most of the feature of each individual program, and as development contiunes features will be added, the benefit is that you do not need to have 5 or so different programs open, and mulitple chat windows because it has tabbed chats

8. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

It looks amazing, it's fast, it uses little CPU.

MSN can routinely take 50% of my CPU when it's busy, Adium spikes to 10%

I'm not missing any features. In fact adium has more, like display pictures which are not available on the mac yet (for msn).

I can customise it however I want and even change the code to my preference!

9. ricebag macrumors member

It's great

I use Adium on my Powerbook, and the advantages are: no advertising, consolidate different programs into one, plus it is EXTREMELY customizable. The downsides are that it doesn't seem to support drag and drop file sending and that it doesn't seem to handle file sending well period (things say they're transferring, then don't). But when I need to work with sending files, I just start up iChat. (BTW, the iChat also is great, but it doesn't support profiles and Adium's customizability blows it out of the water.)

10. haiggy macrumors 65816

Adium does use drag and drop when sending files in 0.7, but not directly on the contact list - only into the contact's conversation window. Yes, nothing is differen't from using other clients, just no webcam/video/audio but I guess that isn't an issue with MSN on the mac, etc - except for AIM people but you can just use iChat for that kind of thing. Adium just reduces clutter and is an amazing program. Simple as that.

11. acceber macrumors regular

I get what Captain is saying about missing out on the features of each indivdiual IM client, but Adium combines them all into one and I love having only Adium on instead of Aim, as well as ICQ as well as MSN etc....because Adium puts them all into one.

Simply, Adium fits a lot of people's choices because it's convenient as you don't need to have all these windows open, I personally don't think I've missed out on any individual features offered by MSN or AIM.

12. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

50%!!!!!! are you kidding me?!! :eek:

13. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

14. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Yes I am, and it is rediculous.

15. AndiePandie macrumors regular

This is exactly the reason I have Adium. I love it! Everything is all neat and tidy in one box instead of having multiple programs running. Plus how can you pass up the cute duckie? :D

16. morkintosh macrumors regular

you could always download it and see what it looks like

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

THANK U! All these questions Captain, why don't you just download it an TRY it for yourself? It's free, and takes no time to get running with. It really would be much easier if you could just see it for yourself...wouldn't it?

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i dont think the Captain has his iBook yet, and thus no OS X to run Adium on

19. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

...that changes things a bit then...:eek:

...but still, it really would be easier all round just to wait until he has it and see for himself.

20. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

download adium and try it. if you don't like it you can go back to your old software and it will work exactly the same. Every feature will still be enabled and your buddy lists will remain intact.

21. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Thank you everybody when i get my ibook soon ill try it out... ;)