Adium Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mac'Mo, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

When i close my notebook or it goes to sleep, Adium automatically disconnects me. I find this annoying. Any solutions to this problem?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm... :confused: There is no way for Adium to keep you logged in to instant messaging services when your computer is not awake. This is true for all other instant messaging services as well. Or do you have a second device that you want to remain logged in but Adium is kicking it off?

3. Neoraven macrumors member

The only way to get around this is to make it so when you close your notebook it doesn't go to sleep. Search the forums there's a mod for it, but I'm pretty sure it involves opening the screen and playing with the sensor.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you really want to do that, the two major options are Sleepless and InsomniaX. They're both software-only solutions. I think InsomniaX is PPC only right now, and also doesn't work on 10.4.8... so you may be stuck with Sleepless.

BUT BUT BUT... unless you know exactly what you're doing (and sorry, but you probably would already know / understand all of this if you did), be extremely, extremely cautious about doing this. When you disable sleep in this fashion, the computer is still AWAKE. That's the only reason Adium can remain connected. This means that you should not transport the mac substantially while it is in this state. Don't install sleepless, think you're great because you now are wearing your notebook in your backpack and walking around with an IM connection, and then come back a week later because your hard drive has failed....

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Be careful having your laptop in in the close position whiles still awake....The results might be something you don't want.

Bless