Adium/iChat Error

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Xander562, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

I signed off Adium today with the intention of signing onto iChat. However once I tried to sign back onto AIM with iChat. I got the error message: "Could not connect to AIM. The host refused the connection, try again later." and when I tried Adium again I got the error message: " Lost connection with server: Broken Pipe". I've tried an hour later with the same results. Anyone know what this means/how I can solve it? I LIVE on Adium.

2. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Xander562

And it's still happening 12 hours and a restart later. :mad: :mad:

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm sad I didn't see this thread last night... Same freaking thing happend to me too! It's really frustrating.

AIM and .Mac accounts not working for me.
    Adium and iChat both NOT working for me.

Argh. :eek:

4. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Xander562

Ok so I downloaded the AOL AIM client for windows, (I'm using boot camp) and installed it. Guess what? Everything worked fine. So I then thought the problem was solved and I would be able to use Adium or iChat. Wrong. It STILL doesn't work. :mad: Why would using an AOL client vs. Adium or iChat make a difference? Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone know of a solution?

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I looked up AIM's FAQ online... so I fiddled and in iChat> Preferences> Accounts> Server Settings I changed it to port 443 and it seems to be working now. Haven't fiddled w/ Adium yet.

:edit: Yup. Seems to work for Adium, too. Preferences> Accounts> click 'Edit' on whichever account you want to use> Options> port 443

Hope this works for you, too.

6. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Xander562

Whew! Thank you! (Worked for me too) That was weird though eh? Post if you get Adium working again too.

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Eh? Wasn't that what my edit in my last post said? :p Yes, adium works for me now, too.

8. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Xander562

Oh I didn't see it. :p